[THIN] I need to upgrade but to what and how?

  • From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:15:18 -0400

I currently have two load balanced XPA (Windows 2000) servers with WI.
This configuration works really well and have had very few problems.

Need to Upgrade:

1) I need to upgrade to PS4 as we own the product and the printing alone
sounds like a good reason to upgrade.

2) When I upgrade to PS4 it sounds as if I might as well go to W2K3 as
you can't upgrade PS4 Win2K to PS4 W2K3 without reinstalling.

Business Needs:

1) Our business has a need to share data with external clients and
vendors. The data is in applications and files (EG PDF, Word, Excel
etc).

2) We would like to be able to control Internal Access and External
access through the WI. Currently anyone located in the office or outside
the office has the same access through WI. I think this same level of
control would allow us to provide external access to clients and
vendors.

3) Intranet webpage for providing the latest news phone lists etc.

4) We want to move towards a digital office with scanning all signed
documents and possibly a document management system.

Possible Solution:

1) Upgrade to Windows 2003 PS4.

2) Upgrade to Secure Access Manager.

3) Use CSG to provide SSL tunneling of ICA traffic so all external
vendors and clients can access Citrix over SSL.

Questions:

1) Can you still buy Secure Access Manager (SAM)? If not what replaces
it (I think it is the appliance)?

2) Can SAM control External vs. Internal access to user?

3) With the SAM can you publish folders so that users can simply click
on them and open documents without going into PS4. Some external clients
might only need access to a few PDF files.

4) Finally how do I deploy it without disrupting my current users?

If someone can point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.
Thank you!

Senior Network Administrator