[THIN] Re: Hardware - Blades, SAN?

  • From: "Taylor, George" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:03:59 -0600

I'm not sure I can justify it cost wise compared to 1U servers, but
management wise I believe I can.  Imagine a rack with 28 - 1U servers in
it...
28 KVM cables
28 Power Cords, hope a power supply doesn't pop, I can't think of a 1U
that has dual PSs, but there may be.
28 Network cables (56 for redundancy)
Just basic cable management would be a nightmare.  You've now used 28
ports on your KVM switch and you've used 56 ports on your network switch
(hope your networking guys like you...)  and how many PDUs did you have
to mount in that rack?

Now let's use 28 blades, thats 2 chassis.
2 KVM cables
8 power cords
8 network cables, 16 if your networking guys like you.
28 Fiber Channel cables if your using SAN based storage
1/2 the rack space used.

Yes, I know servers like the X335 you can daisy chain the KVM together,
but I can't say how it works, we never got the management module to do
that.  I VPN into our network from home, point my browser at the
management module and have remote control over all my blades w/o
anything like PCAnywhere or such.  I haven't looked at the math lately,
but power consumption is also reduced dramatically.

  _____