[THIN] HP Deskjet 450 printer in a Win2003 TS environment ?

  • From: "Leone, Michael" <MLeone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Thin Client list (thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:24:10 -0400

I'm having all kinds of difficulties getting a HP Deskjet 450 printer (it's
a portable) to work in a Win2003 TS environment. I set up a printer
substitution entry, telling it to use a Deskjet 550C driver instead. I did
that so I wouldn't have to install the 450 driver directly onto the TS
server, since that is (usually) not recommended, AFAIK.

First I had to change the port it connects to, on the client, from DOT4_001
to LPT1, in order for it to show up in a TS session at all. (client is XP
Pro, using built-in Remote Desktop client software)

Then, I can see it in my TS session, and print to it. Server says it is
printing to it, but nothing ever comes out of the printer (printing locally
works just fine). If I look at the printer queue on the server, I see my
job, with a status of "printing", but nothing more happens. No error
messages in the log.

Tried stoping and restarting the server spooler service (on advice of HP
Tech Support); didn't help.

Anybody using this printer? HP wants me to install the driver on the server
(actually, add it to a Cab file or something, not a normal install), which I
am a bit leery of, considering the problems I'm having now. They say they
have NO info, about ANY of their printers, in a Win2003 TS environment, only
Win2K TS.

Is that what you folks do - install the drivers onto the server (whether in
CAB form or not), or do you use a printer substitution file?

Michael Leone, Systems Administrator
Philadelphia Contributionship
210 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19106
<mailto:mleone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
V: 215-627-1752 x1282
F: 215-627-5354