[THIN] Re: HELP! Post Active Directory Nightmare !!! PROBLEM SOLVED.

  • From: John Twilley <John.Twilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:21:31 -0400

Well... I wasted $400 on a per incident call with Citrix.  They were of no
help to me.
So, I may as well let you guys know what the issue was...since it is kinda
strange.

The problem was as stated below:     Error Code:c0180001/1"

The actual cause was a corrupt "TCP/IP Netbios Helper Service" on the Data
Collector.
The "TCP/IP Netbios Helper Service" was set to manual.
        (I know, I know... I have debated the functionality on this service
all morning.  )
What actually was happening was that the Citrix Management console would
attempt to talk to AD using netbios, the service would try to start, and it
would fail.   There were NO errors in the logs.  None.

The indicator of it being a Netbios issue was that I could not "connect to
another computer" from the Computer Management MMC.  (right click My
Computer -> Manage.  Right-click ->  "connect to another computer".  I could
not connect to either AD Domain Comtroller.  Path not found.   I could
connect to various other computers though.

Replaced the various files that the Service uses, but it would never start.
I had to re-install the OS on the Data Collector to get it to work.

So...remember this:  The "TCP/IP Netbios Helper Service" is still important
on Windows 2000 servers...even in an AD environment.

I welcome comments on this, because this is just my opinion based on what I
just went through.  My facts may or may not be accurate.  I'm still a little
confused on what actually led to this issue.

John Twilley