[THIN] Fun with Mandatory Profiles

  • From: "Greg Reese" <gareese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thin <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:31:28 +1200

I have two separate farms I support on the same domain and on opposite ends
of a sloooooooooow wan connection.  Actually it suffers more from latency
issues than speed.  Anyway, it is what it is and runs as good as it possibly
can.  "improve the quality/speed of the link" is just not going to be a
solution that will happen.

When users in location A login to Farm A they load a mandatory profile
located on a location A file server, they get an h drive on a location A
file server and all is well.  Same for location B.

Sometimes, a user in Location A needs to bounce into Location B to run an
app that only resides in location B.  The problem is, the location B farm
then reaches back to the location A file server to get their mandatory
profile and it maps their drives back to the location A file server as well.

The drive mappings i can fix easily enough with a GPO that allows me to set
an alternate home drive location and the rest can be scripted.

I am trying to find a clever way to use two different mandatory profiles
depending on location.  Users in Location A have their TS profile path set
to their file server and user in location b have it set to theirs.  The GPO
setting for alternate TS path wants a path and it then appends the username
to it so it won't work for a mandatory profile that I can figure out.  We
are running the flex profile kit and the settings are identical in each
profile.

I would like to avoid making individual mandatory profiles all over the
place if i can.  I would like to have one per farm/location and when a user
logs into that farm, they get that locations mandatory profile no matter
what.

There has got to be an easy way to slice this up so i am not copying the
profile across the WAN when people bounce into the other farm.

Greg