[THIN] Freeware Download Pick of the Week-ActivePorts

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://thethin.net" <jimkenz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<citrixse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:20:05 -0400

Hi Folks,
Here is my download pick of the week and boy is it a great tool for
everybody's arsenal to fight hackers and malware!

The tools name is ActivePorts from NTutility.com and it allows you to see
what ports are being accessed and used on your PC or server.   When I ran
the thing on my server I caught an open port that zonealarm did not, that
someone was using to send smtp requests out. I killed that IP and port
pretty quick in my firewall.   When I ran the program on my home PC I found
a program that was installed without my knowledge that was sending out
browsing habits to a vendor.

This is truly an invaluable utility and Ntutility.com goes further with a
beta utility to actually block the ports you find.

Get it at:
http://www.ntutility.com/freeware.html

Regards,
Jim Kenzig