[THIN] Re: Excel 2007 file Encryption with Mandatory Profiles

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:44:48 +1000

Hi Andy,

Excel "ought" to be trying to save the private key certificate under
%appdata%\microsoft\crypto\%usersid%.

But in the normal course of events, encryption shouldn't be working at all
because if the o.s. detects that you've got a mandatory profile, you're
stuck. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940790 if you're
interested.

The fact that you've got it working for other office apps makes me suspect
that you're either using Flex profiles with the value ENABLE_CERTIFICATES=1
set and permissions to "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\Currentversion\Profilelist" set to the special permission "set value" for
"Authenticated Users" on this key or you're using a third party profile
management product that is certificate aware.

All the office apps use the same encryption/certificate mechanism and the
error you're seeing is almost always due to a certificate save problem or
permissions on the profilelist key.

Are you positive that ecryption only fails for excel and that all other
office apps support encryption properly on the same server?

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack
Quest Software