[THIN] Diagonisis for IE 6 java problem on WTS

  • From: "rim" <rim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:26:16 +0200

Hi,

 I am trying to get Oracle Discoverer 3i running under Win2K TS.

 It's a Java Applet (corba/visigenic client) which use the MS Java VM. (I
had loved it use Jinitiator as I have frequently more luck with it.)

 It works fine while running under an admin account or a user account which
is in the administrators group.
 But it will silently fails if run as regular user. (The html page will show
the status "Done" instead of "Applet running" or so.)

 I have monitored the whole thing using RegMon and FileMon. I was able to
find out that it needs "write" access to registry keys related to
certificates. On a locked-down Win2K workstation, this is enough to make
Discoverer works for a basic user.

 Under TS, the same change to registry permission are not sufficent. With
FileMon, I was able to spot some "Access denied" under the \winnt\java
folder tree (package and trustlib).

 But it does not help me more. The java applet won't start. It doesn't show
any activity in the Java console. RegMon/FileMon show that it starts to
initialize a Java program (loading classes, for instance) but I can not see
anything more.

 Can somebody give me advice on troubleshooting java/IE permission problem ?

 Which other monitoring technics can be used ?

 (Even better : if somebody managed to get Discoverer/web running under TS,
I will be glad to hear from him how he did to do this.)

 Thanks for any input,

--Richard.

This weeks sponsor - RTOSoft TScale
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=130