[THIN] Re: Citrix and Satellite Internet

  • From: Chris Buechler <thinlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:40:37 -0400

Jonathan Kadoo wrote:

Happy Friday everyone, just a quick question. We have a user that wants to get a Satellite internet connection. I don't have a lot of experience with this. Are there any issue using the statellite with Citrix for remote access?

Latency. While throughput on satellite is much higher than say dial up, latency can be 750 ms up to 1+ seconds. A good dial up connection is 150-250 ms.

With Citrix, latency is more important than throughput, after a point. Can't say that I've done any testing, but given the latency numbers, my gut feeling is dial up would feel faster than satellite for Citrix in most situations.

-chris
This Weeks Sponsor: triCerat Inc.
You need Day Zero Protection!
Get Proactive with triCerat's Simplify Suite.
Solve printing, security and profile problems before they occur.
http://www.tricerat.com/?thethintl2
********************************************************** Useful Thin Client Computing Links are available at:
http://www.thinwiki.com