[THIN] Re: Can't pass %USERPROFILE% environmental variable to an icon as a parameter in Win2003 TS?

  • From: "Leone, Michael" <MLeone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:07:41 -0500

>Are you sure that the file is in the profile for the users that aren't
getting it?
It's in "C:\Documents and Settings\username" for all users. Also in that
tree location for DEFAULT USER, so every new user gets a copy.

>Also are you sure that the program will read the parameter like you have
it.  Maybe it works on the ones you did manually because it added something
into the registry for their profile, rather than really reading from the
parameter??  I've run across programs that did similar things.

No idea. Since it seemed to work for one of the users, I imagine that it
*should* work for all - I used the same procedure for all.

>Either way, I never like putting configuration files in the profiles unless
needed since the more you have in there, the longer it takes to log on and
off, and the bigger the profile gets the more likely it is to get =
corrupted (just preference mostly).

Well, my guys love changing settings like colors and fonts, and then all the
other users complain. If I make the file read-only, then those users who
want/need the config changed complain. Sometimes they need to change the
config - the printer only works in TEXT MODE, while the other users printer
only works in GRAPHICS MODE. You get the idea. :-(

>You could try putting the config file in the users home directory and
editing the parameter on the shortcut to read the drive letter that is in
your RootDrv2.Cmd file (same as %RootDrive%).  Mine would look something
like "C:\Program Files\Atwin\Atwin32.exe" "z:\config\RS6000.cfg"

config would be a directory in the users home drive and the file would be
placed in there.

I will try that tomorrow. Thanks.

This weeks sponsor Emergent Online.
consulting services you can depend on.