[THIN] Re: CSG - Hacking

  • From: Chris Coleman <Chris.Coleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:19:44 +0930

Yes, I understand that. The MetaFrame server is protected from direct attack
and the data stream is well protected between the MetaFrame server and the
ICA Client. Securing the data stream is only half the story though if you're
trying to prevent your systems from being hacked. CSG doesn't stop someone
from accessing the MetaFrame server indirectly via the CSG, by trying
various usernames & passwords (either manually or with a program).

As I see it, CSG does a great job of ensuring that the ICA data is
tamper-proof and delivered securely between the MetaFrame server and the ICA
client. Ie it provides added encryption and confidence that the data hasn't
been tampered with or otherwise accessed. It doesn't do anything to prevent
anyone from trying username/password combinations to get in to the server
though. If a hacker (really a cracker) gets lucky with a username &
password, they can be assured that the communication between them and the
MetaFrame server is secure though. :)

To be confident that a MetaFrame server can't be accessed by anyone on the
Internet other than authorised users requires SecureID or similar technology
to be used in conjunction with CSG.

...Chris