[THIN] CPU - Explorer and Winlogon

  • From: "Tony Brookus" <tbrookus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:34:51 +0000

Recently, I've had my published desktop users begin to complain about
sluggishness and slowness. Essentially, they will be working along and
suddenly everything freezes for 5-15 seconds. They can type and click during
this time, but nothing will happen until after the server wakes up and
catches up with them. After looking at it myself and experiencing it
firsthand, I noticed that during this time the processor usage would spike
to100% (the context switches/sec would also spike up). The culprit seemed to
be the explorer.exe process of a user just logging in. I also noticed that
every time a session was opened to the server (just sitting at the login
prompt), winlogon.exe would eat up a bunch of processor. Generally the
winlogon would use about 20% for about 10 seconds and then drop. The
explorer.exe for a newly logged in user would rocket to 50-60% processor
usage for about 10-15 seconds.

Stats:

- Windows NT 4.0 TSE SP6 (with the SRP installed)

- Metaframe XP FR1 (though I have boxes still at 1.8 SP3 that have the same
problem)

- Thin clients are NCD 300s (connecting to a published desktop)

- Servers are mostly dual 400s with 2 gig of Ram

So far with testing I haven't been able to figure out a whole lot. I'm
actually building a test box from scratch and testing each time I log an
application or change something. Only thing I've noticed is that having
fewerfonts seems to help the winlogon processor usage.

The only change that I can think of during this period was that we upgraded
the firmware and client version of the NCD clients. However, I can duplicate
this problem from a Citrix client on a PC.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Can anyone suggest anything else to look
at?

Thanks,

Tony

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here[1]

--- Links ---
   1 'http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUS/c152??PI=44364'