[THIN] Re: Active Directory question

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:27:22 +0100

cant help directly, but grab Ethereal (.org) and run it on a workstation - its
able to break down the ICMP packets and tell you what theyre actually
asking/doing.

Dont know for certain, but i'd probably suspect that the workstations are just
checking they still have access to the DC

Andrew
--o--

>>> JLuchette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 19/07/04 18:46:25 >>>
We have recently set up an IDS (Intrusion Detection) system on our network
and are seeing a large amount of ICMP traffic (pings) traveling from all
client workstations to our two Domain Controllers, that are also running
DNS.  We are a mixed mode domain.  I was just wondering if anybody knew if
it is normal for a client workstation to contact a domain controller at
regular intervals via ping/ICMP or not?  Why does this happen/is this
something that I should worry about?

http://www.go-eol.com