[THIN] Re: AW: Old PC client

  • From: "Gunn, Jeff" <Jeff.Gunn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:47:43 -0400

I'm working with this right now.

It seems pretty solid overall, but I am working out some issues with
autodetection of video and network hardware on different PCs.  But you may
not have any issues at all, and if you're rolling it out to identical
hardware you can cut out all the autodetection stuff and lock it into the
specific configuration you're running.  You can download a prebuilt CD image
that supports just about everything if you want to test it out; if you want
to build your own custom version you'll need a Linux box.

It's pretty flexible; you can do a netboot using PXE and TFTP, or do what I
do and make bootable CDs with the image on it.  You can set it up to support
a variety of platforms (ICA, RDP, VNC, X, etc) or you can set it up to have
no user interaction at all until the login box is presented.

If you have any questions, post them up here and we can discuss.

        -Jeff