[THIN] Re: 3rd party print tools comparison

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:14:33 -0700

I can speak to both ThinPrint and Tricerat from production experience. Both
of these are excellent products that are well written and well supported.
ThinPrint has a number of extended features which make it a good choice for
a more complex environment such as large corporations with multiple sites,
handheld devices, the need for printing gateways, etc.  Simplify Printing is
more focused on straight ahead WIN32 clients and does a great job at it.

In short, both are excellent products that don't cause headaches, the choice
between them should be based on feature requirements, pricing, reseller
support, etc.

APM, as I understand it, is more about managing client printing using the
built in tools/drivers from MS and Citrix and is an excellent choice if your
needs are more about setting up printer mappings and finding the correct
driver to map, monitoring the print error log and quickly resolving failed
auto-creates. It does not provide a universal print driver per se, but makes
mappings and auto creation a lot easier to deal with.

Steve Greenberg
Thin Client Computing
34522 N. Scottsdale Rd. suite D8453
Scottsdale, AZ 85262