[THIN] Re: 2003 per user licensing

  • From: "Thomas, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:11:43 +0200

User mode licensing is a bit buggy.

We have an outstanding case with MS because the licensing mode resets its=
elf every now and again, and ends up in "per device" mode (it just looses=
 the setting, and this is the default). It has stabilised since we've red=
uced the number of application installs and reboots as the environment ge=
ts more mature.

MS have promised a fix for the next service pack.

In the mean time, we have a few per-device licenses installed on our lice=
nse server, and I run a script that check the licensing mode on all serve=
rs every now and again to make sure they've not reverted back to "per dev=
ice" mode. This works fine for us.

The ONLY way to change it is to log on to each server affected and change=
 the licensing mode to "per user"

This script will tell you the licensing modes of all computernames you ca=
re to put in the array statement.
-----Start Script.vbs-----
On Error Resume Next
Dim arrCompnames
arrCompnames =3D Array("Comp1","Comp2")
For Each strComputer in arrCompnames
    Set objWMIService =3D GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\=
cimv2")
    Set colItems =3D objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Termina=
lServiceSetting",,48)
    For Each objItem in colItems
        Wscript.Echo "" & objItem.LicensingName & "  " & objItem.Licensin=
gType & "  " & objItem.ServerName
    Next
Next
-----End Script.vbs-----