[thereisone] "It’s For You!”

  • From: Gutman Locks <locks.gutman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thereisone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 06:25:36 +0300

​It’s For You!”

     Home born Israelis are called *sabras* for a good reason. *Sabra* is a
nickname for the thorny desert plant, the prickly pear. Its thorns are
sharp, and it has a thick skin that covers its sweet, softer interior. You
have to be very careful with it or it can really stab you.

     A few days ago, an older Israeli came up to put on tefillin. He knew
how to put them on by himself. I invited his Israeli friend to also put
them on. His reaction was just like the outside of the prickly pear. I
asked again, and the thorns got sharper. I let it rest for awhile, and
then, stubborn as I am, I tried the third time. Whew! I hate to say it, but
I really understood why they are named after the *prick*ly pear.

     Finally, with him watching, I picked up the tefillin head piece, held
it close to my ear as if I was talking on a cell phone, and said, “Hello,
Okay”. Then, I held it out toward him, and said; “It’s for you.” He cracked
up laughing. He couldn’t help himself.

     He came over and let me help him. He read the *shema*, prayed for the
kidnapped teens, and for his family. From the look on his face he had a
good time. He was not in a rush to take them off, either.

     Once you get past the thorns, the fruit is sweet.

You cannot reply directly to the email posts, as that reply would go to the
whole list.  To email me directly, please email to locks.gutman@xxxxxxxxx

- There Is One Spiritual Thoughts from the Old City, Jerusalem mailing
list, copyright by Gutman Locks.  Sharing and reprinting for non-commercial
use allowed with attribution and link to http://thereisone.com.

- SUBSCRIBE by sending an email to thereisone-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with
'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting
//www.freelists.org/list/thereisone and choosing action Subscribe.

'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting
//www.freelists.org/list/thereisone and choosing action Unsubscribe.

- Emails will arrive from thereisone-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, please make sure
to add this to your NOT SPAM lists, so the emails don't end up caught by
your spam filter.

JPEG image