[TheNoir] "A Chance"

  • From: Elizabeth Bethell <ejbethell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Noir <thenoir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 01:24:02 +0000

A Chance
by Robert Cameron and Lillian Ahri

Someone had been out there. He flipped through the readings on his scanner
again. They were good, masking themselves with obvious skill, but the
tell-tale signs were still evident to his eyes. Robert smiled to himself as
he slipped through the winding corridors of the monastry, a chance, a
possibility.

He quickly rounded a corner and eased open the door to the child's playroom.
Lillian glanced up, her stunning blue eyes caught his own for just a second.
Motioning for her to be quiet, he pulled them both into a side room.

"What is it, my love?" she whispered, standing close in the tight confines
of the closet like space.

"I have seen something..." The excitement of the discovery made his breath
quicken. "Dearest one, I have found our chance. There are intruders on the
grounds, which means there must be a ship in orbit." He caressed her cheek.
"Escape."

Lillian shared her excitement with him telepathically, projecting her
emotion to him, caressing him with the tender touch of euphoria. "May we
take the child with us? I cannot bear to leave her here alone."

Robert's face darkened slightly. "They would know, they would come for us.
Would you risk being brought back here for the sake of the child?"

She projected the love for the child to him, accompanied by her love for
him. He would do it, for her, she knew. "If it means, she may escape, yes,
it is worth the risk. It may not be in your calculations love, but it is a
heart factor."

He grinned at her, planting a kiss on her forehead. "The heart, such an
unruly thing. One cannot include emotions in a mathematical equation. They
get away from us, make us do things we know we shouldn't do." He knew that
she could wrap him around her little finger. They would take the child, now
all he had to do was work out how.

"You shine brighter than the seven moons of Ratexnel," Lillian told him,
throwing her arms about his neck. "Now, tell me what I am to do."

Laughing softly, he pulled her close and hugged her to him. "We must prepare
ourselves like we planned, gather your things and what the little one needs,
no more. We must be ready when the assault comes. I will manipulate their
systems and we will be gone before they know it."

"When do you think it will be?"

"Soon," he whispered into her hair. "They would not risk their people for a
prolonged stay. Best to get in and then out as quickly as you can, that is
what we were taught."

Pressing her cheek to his in parting, she told him, "I will be prepared, my
love. I must get back to the child."

Robert let her slip from his arms and watched her return to her charge. He
knew she was strong, but he still worried for her, not knowing what would
come. Dodging out of the closet, he marched away to his next shift, making
sure he made several detours to his various hidden places as he went.