The Daily Shot - 12/29/14

  • From: "The Daily Shot" <thedailyshotletter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thedailyshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:38:28 -0500

The Daily Shot™

Greetings,

Tonight I’d like to start with the situation in US crude oil markets. We are
beginning to see some signs of oversupply showing up in US crude inventory,
pressuring prices further. In recent weeks absolute levels of crude stocks
jumped materially above their 5-year range.

Source: EIA

And stocks measured in days of supply have moved above last year’s level at
this time.

Source: EIA

As a result, WTI futures came under pressure again, dipping below $53.5/bbl
today.

And US rotary oil rig count fell again – down by 37 over the past week. Some
folks from Texas told me this is a seasonal effect but I call that wishful
thinking. High cost production is gradually being mothballed.

Source: SoberLook.com

The good news according to Morgan Stanley is that the positive impact on the
consumer – and therefore the GDP - will be more immediate than the decline in
nonresidential fixed investment which will result from this dislocation in
crude prices.

Source: @Eurofaultlines

  _____

A related note to the discussion above: Here is an example of what I call a
“spurious correlation". I am sorry, but the end of QE in the US had little to
do with the massive correction in oil prices.

Source: @BlanchardGold

Here is a better explanation:

Source: EIA

  _____

The oil markets are not being helped by the US dollar strength, with the DXY
dollar index now at an 8-year high. This remains a major risk for 2015 as it
may further destabilize commodities, emerging markets, as well as raise
disinflationary risks in the US. US equity markets may be negatively impacted
as well if the trend continues.

Source: barchart

  _____

With the renewed selling in the oil markets, Russia came under pressure again.
The ruble is still much stronger than the lows from the panic a couple of weeks
back but it gave up some 10% today in spite of the informal controls imposed by
Moscow. Debt downgrades by rating agencies are coming shortly.

  _____

Now we turn to the Eurozone where Greece has once again become the crisis
flashpoint. It amazes me how such a relatively small economy could destabilize
the whole of euro area’s infrastructure. While many are talking about a
potential for “Grexit”, such an outcome will be a disaster resulting in full
default of Greek debt – creating losses for investors, the ECB, the Eurozone
rescue vehicles, the IMF, etc.  Moreover, the Greek central bank owes the
Eurosystem money via the TARGET2 system – and nobody has set up a mechanism for
this type of separation. More on this later.

Source: The Guardian

Greek 3-year government bond yield quickly blew past 12%.

Source: Investing.com

The euro came under pressure again.

And German government yields fell further in response to the Greek situation.

1. The 10-year yield fell below 55 bp,

2. And the 5-year German yield is now below 2 basis points! Note that this is
lower than the 5-year Japanese government bond yield.

  _____

In the United States the homeownership rate is approaching a 20 year low.
Welcome to “generation rent”. However with rental costs rising quickly due to
lack of sufficient rental housing, we are probably going to stabilize at around
64% homeownership rate (“pre-bubble” levels).

Source: @Eurofaultlines

  _____

In the US banking sector the FDIC is continuing its policy of fewer banks
(since the financial crisis). This creates barriers to entry and reduces
competition. But the FDIC’s view is that such policy also makes existing banks
stronger. Perhaps. Some of the lending however is simply shifting to “shadow
banking”.

Source: @PlanMaestro, @AlexRubalcava

  _____

Now some food for thought – 3 items:

1. Apparently aircraft accidents these days are at historical lows. But in 2014
accidents have been much more deadly.

Source: @NickEvershed, @GuardianData (The Guardian)

2. Which nations have a negative opinion of the US?

Source: @conradhackett

3. Wanting global change ...

Source: @went1955, @kantelaars

  _____

Thanks for reading the Daily Shot. To subscribe or unsubscribe please enter
your e-mail address here:  <//www.freelists.org/list/thedailyshot>
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to the Daily Shot and select the appropriate command.

The Daily Shot list is maintained at FreeLists.org, which has an ugly interface
but is quite reliable and has been safely delivering newsletters like this for
over a decade. E-mail addresses are protected and NEVER shared with anyone.

If you have received the Daily Shot in error please notify me by replying or
simply unsubscribe per instructions above.

All content provided by the Daily Shot is for informational and educational
purposes only and is not meant to represent trade or investment
recommendations. The Daily Shot is not produced by any entity that is
registered as an investment adviser with any federal or state regulatory
agency.

CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2014. The Daily Shot.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image