The Daily Shot - 12/22/14

  • From: "The Daily Shot" <thedailyshotletter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thedailyshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 01:55:04 -0500

The Daily Shot™

Greetings,

We start with China where we see no signs of PBoC easing at this point. In fact
money market rates remain relatively elevated. The 7-day repo rate, one of the
more liquid short-term markets, has risen above 6%. I am told this is driven by
Beijing’s new tighter repo collateral rules, as the authorities try to reduce
leverage in China’s high yield bond markets.

Source: Chinamoney

It’s important to note however that with China’s core CPI running at 1.3%, this
puts real short-term rates at around positive 5% - an incredibly tight monetary
stance by the PBoC. The Bloomberg China GDP tracker continues to show weaker
growth, making such tight monetary policy even more surprising.

Source: @M_McDonough

That’s part of the reason we see no improvements in China’s industrial
commodity prices, as traders remain negative on growth.

May 2015 China iron ore futures contract:

Source: barchart

In another puzzling development, Beijing is allowing the yuan to weaken again.
It’s not clear if this is driven by Beijing’s attempt to shake out currency
speculators or a more strategic move to decouple from the appreciating US
dollar. Whatever the case, there will be some angry US politicians calling
“currency manipulation” on this …

Chart shows USD appreciating against CNY:

  _____

Global deflationary pressures remain entrenched. For example Singapore’s recent
CPI report showed a year-over-year price decline.

Source: Singapore Department of Statistics

And a commonly quoted broad commodity index (GCC) has fallen to 2009 levels.

Source: barchart

If China’s monetary policy remains tight, it’s difficult to see these pressures
receding any time soon.

  _____

While the world has focused on Russia recently, conditions also remains
difficult in Brazil. The currency is near multi-year lows.

And the nation’s fiscal situation is deteriorating, as the government struggles
with high cost of funds. Unfortunately Dilma Rousseff’s newly re-elected
populist administration remains completely incapable of addressing the
situation.

Source: Natixis

  _____

In the United States the treasury curve is now the flattest since the Great
Recession. The chart below shows the spread between the 30-year bond yield and
the 2-year note.

While long-term rates have been suppressed by low global rates and falling
inflation expectations, the short-end is being driven higher by some
US-specific developments. With economic activity in the US remaining relatively
strong, markets are still expecting the first rate hike in Q3 of next year, …

… and a relatively steep trajectory of rate increases thereafter.

Source: @JohnKicklighter

That’s why we saw a fairly steep yield increase in today’s 2-year note auction
vs. the previous auctions in recent years.

Add to that an ample supply of treasury bills and other money market products
from the Fed (RRP and Term Deposits), and we’ve got ourselves a flattening
treasury yield curve.

  _____

In the equity markets we see declining numbers of bearish US investors. In fact
we are around 1987 levels. The technicals here call for caution.

Source: Yardeni Research

  _____

Banks are becoming less relevant in providing credit globally, as lending is
increasingly dominated by what WSJ calls “shadow banking” (organizations other
than chartered depository institutions).

  _____

Note that a big part of that “shadow banking” is represented by the global
“asset management” institutions. Here is how the AUM breaks down.

Source: @NickatFP

  _____

Now some food for thought – a couple of items:

1.  Hope, optimism or delusion? 16% of investors beat S&P in 2014, 91% think
they will beat it in 2015!

Source: @valuewalk

2.  Ideological polarization in the US worsens.

Source: Pew Research Center

  _____

Thanks for reading the Daily Shot. To subscribe or unsubscribe please enter
your e-mail address here:  <//www.freelists.org/list/thedailyshot>
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to the Daily Shot and select the appropriate command.

The Daily Shot list is maintained at FreeLists.org, which has an ugly interface
but is quite reliable and has been safely delivering newsletters like this for
over a decade. E-mail addresses are protected and NEVER shared with anyone.

If you have received the Daily Shot in error please notify me by replying or
simply unsubscribe per instructions above.

Note:  Please, do not send comments to  <mailto:thedailyshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
thedailyshot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx in hopes they will be sent to the full distribution
list. They won’t. This is a newsletter, not a discussion group. If you have a
comment, please just reply.

All content provided by the Daily Shot is for informational and educational
purposes only and is not meant to represent trade or investment
recommendations. The Daily Shot is not produced by any entity that is
registered as an investment adviser with any federal or state regulatory
agency.

CONTENT COPYRIGHT 2014. The Daily Shot.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PNG image

PNG image

PNG image

JPEG image