[The Daily Planet] "Working Things Out the Amazon Way"

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The Daily Planet <thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 23:01:55 -0400

"Working Things Out the Amazon Way"
Princesses Diana and Selene, Artemis

“Hold it like this Princess.”

Selene gripped her new sword the way Artemis was telling her too. It fit her hand perfectly, and the weight of it was just right for her, but it still felt odd. Until now she’d been using a bow staff for most of her training. Philippus had worked with her a little with practice swords, and she’d even gotten to practice with her Aunt Donna and her Grandmother, but this was the real thing. Nothing bunt, nothing safe about this sword, Io had just finished it and it’s edges were razor sharp.

“That’s it, nice firm grip.” Artemis let go of Selene’s hand and smiled. “Move it around a bit, get use to the feel of it, it’s weight, try holding it just like that in your other hand as well.”

“But I’m right handed.” Selene replied as she shifted the sword to her left. Now it really felt odd.

Artemis had noticed that Selene did little with her left hand and knew it would be something to work on. “We’ll need to strengthen your use of your left hand, Princess. There may come a time where you’re unable to use your right. A warrior finely hones every part of her body, not just the parts she is comfortable with.”

Selene tested the sword in her left had a little bit more. “Alright, but if I lop off an ear it’s not my fault.”

The elder Amazon laughed as she stepped behind Selene to show her the proper stances.

From way above the practice fields Diana watches the scene below with a scowl Batman would have envied. She didn’t trust Artemis and she still couldn’t understand why her mother had allowed the woman near Selene. She dropped lower as she watched Artemis pick up a sword of her own then stand in front of Selene. Anger rumbled in her belly. Selene was far to young to practice with real swords, even Donna still used practice swords.

“Ok Princess, I want you to mimic my movements. They won’t be anything to complex, we’re just getting you use to the feel of it today.” Artemis instructed. She began a simple practice exercise and then smiled brightly when Selene smiled. “Feels alright?”

“It feels great.” Selene replied as she moved the sword in a sweeping motion. “It feels like it’s, it’s, I don’t know, like part of me or something.”

Artemis’ smile grew. “Io does wonderful work. It feels that way because the sword was forged to your balance, your grip, your natural movement.”

“Is that why she came to watch us so many times before?” Selene asked still following her teacher’s movements.

“Yes.”

Something painful struck Diana’s heart when she got a good look at the sword Selene was holding. It wasn’t just some sword from the armory, the design, the details, were all royal markings, and the way Selene held it, moved with it, it had been forged for her and her alone. Diana descended from the sky as if she were about to face a villain, and in her mind that’s exactly what Artemis was.

Selene had seen her mother coming and smiled brightly when she landed. She went to her and held up her new sword. “Mama look! Grandmother had Io make it for me. Artemis says I’m a natural with the sword.”

“Not bad with a bow and arrow too for someone so young.” Artemis added.

Diana had to bite back her reply. Taking the sword her daughter was offering she looked it over carefully and then smiled. “It’s beautiful workmanship. Io never ceases to amaze me.”

“Io said it should fit me until I’m grown.” Selene said proudly. She was glad her mother liked it, she was kind of worried that she’d be hurt. An Amazon’s first real weapon was a major deal, but maybe it was ok because her Grandmother had gotten it for her rather then Artemis. Selene could feel the tension between her teacher and her mother. Which actually kind of pissed her off. They were acting more like children then she did.

“You’ll get your warriors sword when you get your royal bracelets.” Diana confirmed.

Since she was still growing Selene’s bracelets were easier to take off so they could be resized, they were also made of the dark metal that all the other Themyscirian Amazons wore. Artemis’ tribe weren’t bound by the Goddesses to forever wear the reminders of their bondage. Instead they wear a metal armband on their right biceps as their reminder of the past. When Selene came of age, her nineteen birthday, she would be given the silver bracelets which were another marker of the royal family. Holding her sword up Selene beamed brightly. “I might even be good enough to challenge Grandmother someday.”

“Well if you plan on taking on the Amazon’s greatest swordswoman then we’d best get back to your lessons.” Artemis said with a proud grin then she looked at Diana. “Would you care to join us, Princess? If I remember right you’re pretty good with a sword yourself.” Artemis’ grin turned to a smirk. “Though even you couldn’t defeat your mother. She always seems to one up you.”

Diana narrowed her eyes. She knew a dig when she heard one. Artemis would have never been able to take her mantel if her mother had not interfered. Sliding a sword from a rack of weapons Diana gripped it tightly.

Artemis picked up a shield, still smirking. “Perhaps a demonstration of skill?”

“Is that a challenge, Artemis?” Diana asked as she to picked up a shield.

“Is that an acceptance, Princess?”

Selene wasn’t sure what was going on, but she was pretty sure the lessons were over. Something had changed in her mother’s blue eyes, and Artemis’ green ones. Stepping out of the way she sheathed her sword and watched.

The two Amazons circled each other each waiting for the other to strike first. Finally it was Artemis who made the first move, with Diana defending. Soon the practice field was filled with the sound of metal against metal as the two women went at each other with far more force then a demonstration of skill would require. Selene was torn between watching the battle and going to get her grandmother. She’d never seen her mother fight before, not like this. This seemed almost for real somehow.

“I don’t know what your playing at Artemis but leave my daughter out of it.” Diana growled as her sword crashed against Artemis’ shield.

Artemis used her shield to push the princess back. “I’m not up to anything. Your just being paranoid. You spend to much time with that Bat.”

“I’m not being paranoid I’m being careful.” Diana replied. Both women drove each other back and forth, swords clanging. “Would you trust you if you were me?”

“How long are you going to hold a grudge?”

Diana got in the other woman’s face. “You took what was mine and I’m not going to let you do it again.”

Artemis had just enough of the strength that the witch Ariadne had siphoned from Diana to give to her to help her win the Challenge to push against the princess’ force. The two women were pushing so hard that their booted feet were digging into the dirt of the field. “If you still have issues with losing your mantel to me take it up with the woman who bid the witch to give me the powers to defeat you.” Artemis then lowered her voice. “Despite what you might feel Diana I am not trying to take your place with your daughter.”

That sent Diana over the edge. Here this woman was training, teaching, bonding with her child when she couldn’t. Somewhere deep inside she knew Artemis was right, but fear and anger were stronger then her good sense. Diana roared as she put all her strength into battling the other Amazon.

Sometimes even her mother forgot that Selene’s hearing was enhanced. She needed to talk to her mother but she wasn’t sure how to go about stopping the fight. Lifting off the ground Selene flew out of the practice field and out toward the sea after making a quick stop.

Shields had been cast aside leaving Diana and Artemis locked face to face, sword hilt to sword hilt. Blue eyes locked with green eyes until both women were suddenly doused with cold water. They both jumped back, swords up in a defensive manner, each looking for where the water had come from.

“You two knock it off!” Selene said from the air above them, a large bucket in her hand. She was rather fed up with both of them so she huffed as she dropped the bucket. Both women stood there looking up at her as they took deep breaths. “Ya know what forget it, if you two wanna keep at it until you drop go ahead. It’s just silly and childish for you two to being acting like rivals. Your both Amazons, what Artemis and Grandmother did is in the past, and I’m not a prize to be won in battle.”

Diana blinked as she watched her daughter fly towards the palace.

“I don’t want to fight you, Diana.” Artemis said once the shock wore off. “I’d actually be honored if we could work together. Believe it or not I have a great amount of respect for you.”

“I guess what happened still stings.” Diana admitted.

Artemis nodded her understanding. “I’d be pissed off too if it had been me. I wasn’t real thrilled with being used that way, but I understood where your mother was coming from. Mothers would do anything to keep their children safe.”

There was a sadness in the other woman’s eyes that Diana had never seen before. Not that she’d ever taken the time to really look at Artemis, not even when she helped to avert a civil war between their respective tribes. It suddenly dawned on her that she really didn’t know a thing about this woman.

“Look, it must be killing you, leaving her here like this.” Artemis went on. “But I’m not trying to take your place, I never could. She’s a great kid and I’m honored to be one of her teachers, but you’re her mother nothing can change that.”

“That’s what I keep telling myself.” Diana admitted.

“So go find the kid and have her tell you.” The redheaded Amazon replied as she began to clean up the area.

Diana simply nodded then took off towards the palace. She really hoped she could find Selene without running into her mother or sister. She really didn’t want to have to explain why she was all wet and dust covered. She found Selene in her grandmother’s garden.

“So you two didn’t decided to kill each other?” Selene asked when her mother walked in.

“Guess we were acting pretty childish.” Diana said as she sat next to her daughter.

Selene looked up at her mother. “Gee ya think?” Blue eyes locked with blue eyes, tears welling in the younger ones. “Do you really think anyone could take your place? Great Gaea, Mama! You’re my mother for Zeus‘ sake!”

Diana watched as her daughter got up and walked to the fountain. She sighed as she got up to follow her. “Even I have insecurities, baby.”

“I know,” Selene replied without looked at her mother, “but you shouldn’t, not when it comes to me.”

“It’s not easy for me to see other people doing the things for you that I should be doing.”

Selene spun around to look at her mother. “Did Grandmother teach you everything? Was she the only person on this island that showed you how to do something? Except for Artemis every single one of my teachers, were your teachers.”

“This isn’t the same, Selene.” Diana sighed.

“Because I’m here and you’re out there?” Selene asked, “I thought you said that didn’t matter, that no matter how far apart we were I’d always be your baby, didn‘t you mean it?.”

“I did mean it.” Diana said softly.

“Then you should have known it went both ways.” Selene replied. “You’re my mother and nothing, no one, no place can change that. I’m sorry it’s hard, I miss you so much it aches, but you were right Mama, this is where I need to be.”

Diana wrapped her arms around her daughter and held her close. “Such a wise child.”

“I am your daughter.” Selene replied as she hugged her mother tight. “You’ll catch up.”