[The Daily Planet] The Princess and the Protégé

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The Daily Planet <thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:31:00 -0400

The Princess and the Protégé
Bruce Wayne, Elias Nunne, Diana Prince

Pulling up the long drive to the large impressive looking house, Diana couldn't help but laugh. The call from Bruce had been cryptic, though all his calls were cryptic, but this one seemed a little odd. Stopping the car in front of the house, she slid out and headed for the door. It had been a very long time since she'd stopped to ring the bell, she simply knocked, opened the door, and let herself into the foyer. "Bruce?"

"In the sitting room," came the gruff, deep tones of the manor owner as he stared at the child before him.

Diana smiled at the sound of her friend's voice. Despite being men, she wouldn't want anyone other then Bruce and Clack at her side, in and out of the suits. Walking gracefully into the sitting room, she sat her purse down on a table, just as her eyes caught sight of the child. She raised a brow as she looked down at her friend. Her eyes asked what she dare not voice, 'I thought you vowed never to take on another Robin'. Verbally she asked, "And who might this be?"

"Ely, meet Diana," Bruce said as he met his friend's eyes, a pinch to his own that spoke volumes about Dick's meddling. "Diana, this is Elias Nunne. My prodégé."

Between the look on her friend's weathered face, and the term he'd used, Diana thanked the Goddess. She adored her friend, and he was an amazing man in and out of the suit, but he was getting to a point in his human life where their work was taking a toll on him. Good for you, Dick, she thought as she offered the boy her hand. "A pleasure Ely."

Ely stared at the hand but took it very carefully. "Hi," he whispered, his eyes lowered.

"Make eye-contact, boy," Bruce chided gently.

When Ely raised his eyes, his cheeks were flushed and he was clearly upset that he'd disappointed Bruce.

Diana smiled warmly at the boy as she shook his hand. "It's alright, Ely. It must be strange meeting new people. When you get use to things I'm sure you'll have no trouble making eye contact with those lovely blue eyes." This explained the oddness of her friend's call. He wasn't very good with children, when Selene was small he cringed every time she called him uncle, and the little girl had clearly made him nervous and ill at ease. This one couldn't be any more then eleven or twelve.

Again Ely felt his cheeks darken but he offered her a lop-sided smile. In a voice that was deeper than most people thought was possible, he said, "My Momma had blue eyes too. Hers were brighter."

Kid remembers his mother's eyes, Bruce thought with a mental grunt. "I'll get us tea. Alfred's a little busy at the moment."

"That sounds lovely, Bruce." Diana said as she lead the boy over to one of the large leather couches and motioned for him to sit with her. There was grief in the way he'd talked about his mother's eyes, so she knew to tread lightly. "How long have you been with Bruce, Ely?"

"Week," the boy shrugged. "The Di... Dick Grayson brought me over after Batman handed me into the cops." Pale blue eyes stared at nothing as he admitted, "I really hate Batman."

So he didn't know the truth yet. That made sense, the boy needed time to adjust. "Why is that? Because he busted you?"

"Coz he's a self-righteous prick who wouldn't know a hard night in the cold if he was kept in a freezer for a month," he snarled. His grasp of language was so good that even Bruce had been shocked. Someone had tried to educate him, but they hadn't taught him to read.

"Well he does come across rather coldly." Diana mused with a gleam in her eyes. "But how can you be so sure of his past when you've never met him? Other than to be busted by him, of course." She smiled at the boy again. "You sound very much like my daughter when she's in the middle of one of her "you don't understand me, you've never lived my life" rants."

"I'm not your kid," Ely replied coldly, folding his arms and hugging them around himself. "Ain't no one's kid. Ain't no point gettin' t'know me either. No common point of reference."

Bruce smirked as he came in carrying a tray with tea and cookies on it. "He means that until you've been brought up on the streets, you won't be able to understand him. I got this speech yesterday."

"Well you're right in a way." Diana said as she took the tea from Bruce. "I can't understand what it's like to have lived on the streets. There are however other hardships in life, our experiences might not be exactly the same, but they often lead to an empathy, and some understanding for others." She looked at Bruce and grinned before looking back at Ely. "You don't think he got this grumpy from all the sunlight and rainbows in his life do you?"

All Bruce did was grunt as he set out the cups. He gave his friend a withering look then threw himself into a chair.

"He's more cheerful than the last person I stayed with," Ely shrugged, sniffing the tea. He'd only recently been introduced to it and he liked his with at least five teaspoons of sugar in it.

"You have found a good home here, Ely." Diana said as she tried not to cringe at the amount of sugar the boy was using. "Despite his grumpiness, Bruce is one of the best men I know. Though his knowledge of children is beyond limited." Turning to look at one of her closest and dearest friends, she asked, "Have you set him up with what he needs or is that why I'm here?"

"He's got a room and some old clothes from Ro..." Bruce coughed loudly to cover himself. "Ahem, from when Dick was here."

Ely wrinkled his nose. Those clothes were kind of old, all looking like something out of the eighties for goodness sake.

"Oh for the love of.." Diana groaned. "Ely, go get ready to go. We're going out."

"Out?" both man and boy said together, both with a look of total confusion on their faces.

"Dick's clothes are perfectly fine," the old man objected. "He liked them, they were very fashionable."

"Yeah, for someone thirty years older than me," Ely snorted.

Diana nodded in agreement, then to make her point asked, "Would you wear Clark's clothes because they were perfectly fine and fashionable?"

Bruce grimaced then actually shuddered. "He's a reporter," he said as if that explained everything.

"And Ely is a young man of this day and age, he's not Dick." Diana pointed out primly. Turning to Ely, she repeated, "Go get ready, please."

The boy gaped at the woman. She was talking to Bruce like he was just a guy. He shrugged and slumped out, shaking his head and muttering all the while.

The moment the door closed, Bruce sagged and blew out a soft breath. "I'm lost, Diana."

"Welcome to the wonderful world of parenthood." Diana teased as she sat across from him. "He's a little younger than the others isn't he?"

"Fourteen," Bruce shrugged. "Had Robins who were thirteen before." He didn't say who, he never mentioned their names, those who had died before, as if he was honouring their deaths by paying silent homage. "He's strong too, I got first hand experience of that. I had one hell of a headache the next day."

"You're really going to train him to replace you? He's not another Robin?" She knew it was a touchy subject, but she had to know. She worked closely with Batman, just as she did with Superman and she was still finding it odd to work with a Superman who wasn't Kal.

"I've got to, Diana," Bruce sighed. "That puney little kid, that fourteen year old gave me bruises that are still healing." The greying man sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Alfred still calls me young man sometimes but I'm not and I know it. Dick was there when Ely started on Batman. I made mistakes, Diana, I dropped my guard too many times."

She nodded and in her heart grieved a little. Her best friend was human, he was growing old, he would get older and someday he would even die. A thought she tried not to have very often. It wasn't the same for him as it was for her and Clark. They had a choice as to went to given up their mantels, he didn't. "You're doing the right thing, my friend."

"That's what Dick said," he snorted. "The kid tell you how much he hates Batman yet?"

"Yes," Diana laughed, "about as well as Selene likes Wonder Woman."

"Gonna be fun when he finds out why he's here, huh?"

"Why?" a small, southern voice said from the door way. Ely had his coat in his hands but he was now staring at Bruce and Diana.

Diana smiled at the boy. "Don't mind him he's being sarcastic and grumpy." With that brilliant smile of hers she walked towards him. "Now, tell me about what you like, Ely, what are your tastes?"

"I don't have any," the boy shrugged, still staring at Bruce, who gave him a hand motion to make him explain. "I've been watchin' cartoons and stuff since I got here. Tryin' to do the things kids are meant to? At least, what Bruce says kids are meant to do. I don't get most of 'em."

"Except.." Bruce urged.

"'Cept the Pink Panther," Ely smiled tightly, his cheeks red again. "He's cool."

"That's a very good start." She put her arm around his shoulders and then looked at Bruce. "Are you coming?"

"Alfred wants to show me some stuff to do with the car," Bruce said as he rolled his eyes.

The car, not a car. Ely wondered which of Bruce's vast collection was "the" car. "Where're we going?"

As she lead him out to her own car, Diana wondered where she would take him. She'd have preferred Metropolis, but she couldn't explain how they'd get there. "The mall," She answered at last, "Gotham has a fairly descent mall."

"I know," Ely said softly as he climbed into the car. "I've been banned from there." He gave her a shrug and an unrepentant grin. "Shop lifting."

"They'll let you in with me," Diana replied as she got into the car and started it up, "but I advise you not to try any of that while your with me."

"Bruce said he'd tell Batman if I did," the boy snorted at that. He stared at his fingers for a while then admitted, "I'm more scared of disappointing Bruce than that over sized rodent."

The boy respected Bruce already, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to explain to him after all. "Most of the time knowing that you've disappointed your parent, or the only person who's ever shown you kindness, and given you a chance, is far worse then any punishment that could be given."

Ely just stared silently out of the window, feeling shivers start. He'd only known the old man for a while but he was one of the few people who didn't assume he was rotten inside just because he didn't always agree with the way society dictated right and wrong.

Diana watched him out of the corner of her eye and then grinned. "Yes, you two will be very good for each other."

"Huh?" Ely blinked then turned to tilted his head and stare at Diana. "How come you're not his wife?"

It was a good thing she'd pulled into a parking space, cause Diana was pretty sure she'd have driven into a tree or something. That was the last question she'd have ever expected. "We're friends, we work together, and neither of us are the marriage type."

"He is," Ely said with a smirk. "So are you. You're just kidding yourselves. Marry him, it might improve his moods."

Diana looked at the boy and blinked. Then she laughed as she got out of the car. "I don't think anything at this point could improve his moods. He was even grumpy as a young man, it's just his nature."

"Hmph," Ely chuckled as he climbed out of the car and followed her again. "Still think you'd be good together."

They were, as friends, as Batman and Wonder Woman, but anything more? "Lets get you some clothes first." She looked him up and down and then nodded. "Hot Topic, American Eagle, nothing to preppy, maybe a little punk, a little grunge?"

"Baggy jeans, more room to move around, but not so baggy that they'd fall down." How was he meant to know what she was talking about? Weren't punks the dudes with weird hair cuts? "I'm not dying my hair pink," he told her firmly. "I like it like it is."

Diana laughed as she lead them through the mall. "I didn't mean that far, I meant the baggy jeans, the print t-shirts, cargo pants, a new jacket." She smiled at him. "You have lovely hair, I wouldn't want it touched by dye." She was enjoying this, she'd never gotten to take care of a boy before. She wondered if it would be so very different then shopping for Selene.

"Combats," Ely asked, his eyes hopeful. "With lots of pockets to put useful things in." A thought struck him and he cringed. "I can't afford this stuff. We gotta go..."

"Bruce can afford this and more." Diana reassure him. "As can I." She pointed to a shop window with the combat pants he was talking about. "How about those?"

"They're green," he observed with a sniff. "Don't see many Gothem buildings that colour to blend into. I'd like 'em blue or black." Then he shot her a look of remorse and added, "Please."

She liked this kid, he was gruff, yet sweet. Goddess, he reminded her of Bruce exactly! "Lets go in and see if they have those colors."

Like Bruce Wayne, Diana Prince was well known. She was a political figure, and ambassador for her island nation, so when she walked into the shop the sales people hopped around like hyper Jack Russells. She waved a sales girl down and smiled sweetly. "We're looking for combat pants like the ones in the window, only in black and dark blue."

"We carry them in many colors, your Highness." The girl bubbled.

"We'll take three black pair, two blue, all in his size please." The woman replied firmly before looking at Ely. "Go and have a look around, Ely. Pick out whatever you like, and let them know your sizes."

"Dunno my size," Ely shrugged. "Ask Alfred, he measured me." He wandered away distractedly, poking at tops that looked entirely impractical. He pulled out a hoodie that was at least two sizes too big but the extra size gave you space for more layers and to conceal things. "I like this," he told her over his shoulder then pointed at a set of plain t-shirts. "And those in black."

Diana sent Alfred a quick text message asking for the boy's sizes and then looked up. "Another hoodie wearer. Selene all but lives in one when she's not on the island." She smiled at him, knowing not to ask why he wanted it so big. She'd asked Selene that once and got a very odd look for her troubles. "Add them to your pile." When her cell beeped she looked down then called out the boy's sizes.

"Can I have walkin' boots? They last longer and don't rub sores even when they're full of holes." Ely picked up a pair of sneakers and snorted at them. "Totally impractical."

"No, impractical are four inch heels." Diana laughed then stuck out her foot. "Walking boots are fine, you'll still need a pair of trainers though, we'll get those at a sporting goods store. The dress shoes we'll get when we go to Brooks Brothers."

Ely made a sour face and shook his head. "Don't need dress shoes. Bruce ain't exactly gonna want me goin' t'his dinner parties, is he?"

Diana smiled warmly at the boy as she let the sales woman know to give them two pairs of the walking boots in the proper sizes. "There may be a party or two where his young ward would need to make a brief appearance. Making anyone you age suffer through one of those things for more then an hour is torture."

All Ely did was snort as he wandered off again, prodding at the silly looking clothes. He picked out a pair of baggy black jeans that were certainly three sizes too large and passed them over to the assistant. "Got any in dark green or grey?"

The young woman kept her snippy remark about the young man being more at home in an army apex to herself, and simply smiled. The kid was pretty classless, but you'd be a fool to act rudely in front of the Princess. When word got out she'd shopped here the store would become the hottest store in the area. "Of course, Sir. We also have them in a very dark blue."

Diana smirked at the look on Ely's face every time the sales girl called him sir. When the young woman walked off to get the jeans she moved closer so only Ely could hear her. "I'm afraid that's my fault. You'll get it a lot when your out with Bruce as well."

"I ain't a sir," Ely grumbled. "Besides, she'd be the type t'look down on me if I was t'come in by myself. Bet if you weren't here, the whole story'd be different."

"Unfortunately Ely I'm afraid you're right." Diana frowned a moment. She remembered when she'd first arrived and Julia had taken her to get more fitting clothes for Boston then the island dresses she'd brought with her. No one knew who she was then and to most of the people in the stores she was just some foreigner, she didn't even speak English then. "What's even sadder is that this type of thing has not changed in all the years I've been here."

"Bet too she'd be all over me if Bruce was here," he growled. "I hate bitches like that.

Diana put a hand on Ely's shoulder. "Actually, they would see to what you wanted, but they'd pretty much be throwing themselves at Bruce. He's single and rich. Women in Patriarch's World still befuddle me."

"They don't know I ain't single and rich," he huffed. Glancing up, he tilted his head to the side and asked, "How come men ain't throwin' 'emselves at you then?"

"There have been a few." Diana laughed as she picked up a black zippered hoodie. "But it's different when it's the woman with the power and status. Women with power scare most men, Amazons scared a whole lot of men."

"Why?" Ely said with a frown. "Just means you got a better survival instinct, don't it? Don't men find that sexy?"

"Some do, most find it intimidating. They'd rather have a woman who depends solely on them in one form or another." Pulling her wallet from her purse, she handed the sales woman her credit card. "There aren't many men like Bruce and Clark in the world."

"Bruce thinks you're sexy," Ely shrugged as he watched her pay so blithely as if it didn't matter that he'd just cost her several hundred dollars in clothes. "You ain't my type though. Too tall."

Bruce thought she was sexy? Diana blinked before covering herself by laughing at his last statement. "It comes in handy when you have to look Clark or even Bruce eye to eye. I don't think I'd have the same effect if I had to stand on tip toe."

"Bein' short's not a problem really," he said, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot and stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Means you get to dart in and out of people without bein' seen."

After signing the sale's receipt and taking her card back, Diana grabbed the bags and smiled as she lead Ely out of the store. "I think that has more to do with your survival instinct."

Shivering lightly, Ely glanced up at Diana and frowned. She was wearing less layers than him yet it was freezing in the main mall. "Don't you feel the cold?"

"Not physically no." Diana replied as they made their way through the mall. "If I feel cold or chilled like on a cold Boston night, there's normally an emotional cause rather then actual temperature."

Ely hmphed softly. He didn't get that, it wasn't something he'd felt or if he had, he couldn't recall. "I get cold when it's cold and hot when it's hot. I don't feel emotion as such I don't think."

"Everyone has emotions, Ely. Wither we feel them, ignore them, or hide them for survival, depends on how we've lived." Walking into a Brooks Brothers,she waited to see if Ely would bolt. Fitting him for suits and a tux could be done at the manor if he'd prefer. "You and Bruce fall into that last category."

"Bruce thinks no one can see his emotions," Ely said as he eyed the totally impractical clothing with absolute distaste. "And I ain't wearin' that. I'd look like a penguin in drag."

"I've seen the Penguin in drag and trust me you'll not come close." Diana smiled at the boy as she sent the other bags aside and took Ely's hand. "You're a very handsome young man, Ely. And yes, Bruce thinks that, but we know differently, those of us who love him."

Ely's face screwed up and he shuddered. "Dude's a guy. I don't love a guy." He let himself be led into the shop but he deliberately dragged his feet. "I already look like a kid. Putting me in this shit's just gonna make it worse."

"You look like a child Ely because technically you are one." There was a very clear motherly undertone to Diana's voice now. She couldn't help it, the more time she was spending with this young man the more she found herself caring about him. "Trust me, you'll look like a very handsome young man of your age." She gave him a bright smile that pretty much told him she was getting her way.

He grumbled under his breath but let her talk to the assistant and give the man his size. "You'd think I was gonna be a paige boy at someone's wedding or somethin'."

Having spent several formal evenings at different events with Bruce, Diana had a pretty good idea how he'd want Ely to look, but more then that as she picked out several dark suits, shirts, shoes, and two formal tuxedos Diana tried to keep in mind Ely's comfort level. She wanted him to see the astounding young man that she could see and that she had no doubt Bruce saw as well. She'd have to get his full story from Bruce later, but it was long past time Ely was given a decent life and raise his self worth. Handing him one of the dark suits, a white shirt, tie, and shoes she pointed to a dressing room and smiled.

Shaking his head, he handed the white shirt back to her and pointed at a black one. "Not bein' a penguin, remember." With the sweetest smile he had, he batted his lashes and bright blue eyes at her. "Please?"

"Fine, black," Diana chuckled then pointed to a very nice black dress shirt which the salesman handed to Ely. She then picked out a different tie and switched it with the one she'd picked out before.

With a grin, Ely conceded and bounced off to the changing room. As he tried it on, all that could be heard were several muttered swear words and a final exclamation as he burst forth from the curtained booth in his pants, shirt and shoes but the tie in his hands in a knot. "I ain't wearin' it. You can't make me!"

Diana laughed loudly as she took the tie from him. "My daughter said the same thing about the native dresses that are worn on Themyscira. It took me three months to convince her wear anything else after she'd returned from the island." Diana unknotted the tie and then proceeded to put it on him properly. Once the tie was on, she straightened the collar of the shirt, took the jacket from the salesmen, and then held it out for Ely to slip on. "I'll have to bring her with me next time. I think you two would hit it off." She slid the jacket into place and then grinned brightly. She slowly turned Ely towards the mirror behind him and grinned even more at their reflections. "You're a very handsome young man Elias."

He had to admit that he actually looked kinda neat, sorta like a young James Bond or something, but all he did was shrug and snort. "Yeah, like a real stiff."

She kissed his cheek again. "You could hardly be a stiff." She nodded at the salesman to let him know they'd take everything she'd picked out. Alfred would make sure it all fit like a glove. She then picked up a tie she'd caught sight of while Ely was changing. It was black with the Pink Panther on it and she couldn't resist. "You'd never caught Bruce wearing one like that, but I thought it might be more your style."

Ely actually grinned but again he shook his head and leaned around her to point at another of the Pink Panther ties. This one had the panther leaning against a martini glass with a smirk on his face. "Classier," he sniffed in amusement.

"We'll take that as well." Diana told the salesman. She then looked down at the other bags and decided to play her privilege card. "Could you have someone meet us at the front entrance with all of this stuff in about an hour?"

The gentleman smiled. "Of course your Highness."

"Wonderful, thank you." Diana once again handed out her credit card and made sure to authorize a nice tip. She then lead Ely from the store again. "Now, fun stuff. How boring is your bedroom at the moment?"

"It's kinda bland," he shrugged. "But it's a bedroom. Ain't never really had one've those before so I guess I can't complain too much." He glanced back at the store as they weaved away and started fidgeting again. "Um... that was all kinda expensive... I, er, I can't pay."

"We've been through this Ely." Diana said gently as they went to the home decor store. "Bruce can more then afford, and if he wishes to pay for half then he may. As for me, not only am I an Ambassador, I'm a princess for Hara's sake. Plus I'm enjoying this. You're a good kid, Ely. I can see why Bruce cares about you already."

"I'm a nobody," Ely said softly, still glancing back at the store. "I beat up Batman, y'know. Enjoyed it too."

Diana stopped them and turned Ely so they were facing each other. "You most certainly are not a no body. If you truly were nothing but a street thug with no glimmer of being anything but, you'd be Gotham Prison or Arkham, not living at Wayne Manor. I know that maybe that thug is all you can see right now, but it's not what Bruce sees, and it's not what I see either. You've been on your own a long time, Ely, but not anymore.

"You don't get it," he said, his pale blue eyes frosting slightly. "Only reason I'm here is some cop cut me a break, put me in touch with Grayson and he spoke to Bruce. I ain't some charity case. I ain't gonna feel guilty for doin' what I did. Just coz y'all goody two-shoes are takin' pity don't make me a prince in frog's clothin'."

"Bruce doesn't take pity on anyone. Even if Dick did talk to him that's not why you're with him. Bruce doesn't just share his life with anyone." Diana replied. The kid had had a hard life, she understood that so she took no offence. Hades, there were people in the J.L.A that called her a goody two-shoes. "You're the one who's not getting it, Ely. No one expects you to be sorry for who you are or what you've done to get through life, and no one," She titled his head up then put her hands on his shoulders and looked him in the eyes, pale blue to blue, "no one, sees you as a charity case."

He kept eye contact for as long as he could but he finally dropped his sight to the floor. "Then how come you don't want me t'pay?"

"Because despite the fact that you think you're not, you're a child Ely. Children shouldn't have to take care of themselves. Now I don't know about your past, what ever I do find out will be up to what you tell me, but I do know that as of right now you have Bruce and you have me to do that." Diana reached out and caressed the boy's cheek. "I know you might not believe me, Ely, but I can't lie."

"I'm not gonna tell you," he said softly. "It ain't coz I don't trust you. It's just that I don't talk about it. That okay?"

Diana smiled at him. "That's more then okay. Your past is your past. It's the here and now that matters, and like it or not the here and now means you're stuck with old grumps and me."

"I can deal with that," Ely laughed as he peered into the new shop. "What we wantin' in here?"

"Bedding, stuff to make your room more your room." Diana replied as she lead him inside. "Trust me, you're going to want a space all your own at the end of the day. I love Bruce, but his taste is a little stuffy."

"Kinda like livin' in a museum," Ely nodded.

Diana laughed as she weaved them through the store. "He gives new meaning to the gothic period. Not that I'm one too talk, I've a classical Greek taste myself." She spotted something a few displays down that she thought was perfect, but she was unsure how Ely would react. It was kid-ish for sure, but it was something he liked so she pointed it out. "A little of that maybe?"

His eyes lifted to the display of very pink bedroom fittings but they fixed on the character and he beamed brightly. "Hell yeah!" he called as he jogged over and started picking up the cushions and bedside light and such.

Lidya was having one of those days. Her supervisor was breathing down her neck for allowing some of the produce to be shop lifted so now she was being extra vigilent. The moment she caught sight of the young boy pawing at the pink panther bedroom display, she narrowed her eyes and marched over to him. She had, of course, not seen the princess. "Excuse me young man, but I hope you have enough money to pay for that. We're not running a charity, you know."

Ely looked over at her, a hot water bottle holder in the shape of his cartoon hero in his hands. "Ain't got any money at all," he said stiffly.

"Then put that down and get out of this store," Lidya said sternly. "Before I call security."

It was very rare for Diana to be rude to anyone other then the occasional villain, but the young woman's behavior was uncalled for. "Why don't you call your supervisor as well, miss. I highly doubt they'd want such a rude and judgmental young lady on staff here, especially since you've just cost them a rather large sale. I know of at least two of your competitors who offer the same merchandise, so we will just be going there instead, after I file a formal compliant of course."

Ely's and Lidya's eyes widened at the same time and the boy tightened his grip on the bottle ever so slightly.

"I... I didn't see you there, ma'am," she spluttered. "Pl... please, I've already cost them a hundred bucks today. Kid just walked straight past me. I'm s...sorry. Please?"

"Profiling someone can be hazardous to your job. You never know who someone might be or be with. Every person who comes into your store should be respected. Learn a new way to prevent shopping lifting, miss." Diana said in a very firm, yet less icy tone. "Come on Ely, there's a large store on the way back to Wayne Manor," She wanted the extra dig in there to teach the girl a lesson, she hated snobbery. "They'll have all of them and more I'm sure."

Lidya watched the boy put down the bottle cover reluctantly and sighed to herself as he was led away. He was kinda cute too when she looked at him. So he was the new Wayne ward? She'd read about him in Hello magazine but they hadn't said a name or given a picture. She really hoped he didn't make a complaint, she needed this job.

As they left the shop, Ely glanced back and saw the girl staring at him. "It was okay, y'know. You could've still bought stuff in there. She was way politer than most of 'em are."

"And now she'll be more careful and a lot politer to others." Diana replied. "If we'd gone ahead and bought the stuff there, it would have had less of an effect. We'll come back in a few months."

"She was pretty too," he mumbled under his breath then sighed to cover it and hurrumphed. "My bedroom's fine, y'know. I'll just paint it or somethin'."

Diana finally smiled again. "Of course we'll have it painted, but we'll need to know what décor you've picked first. We'll go back, I'm sure she'll be rather impress that you've gotten me to change my mind."

Ely's face brightened even as it flushed red. "Dragon lady melts in front of street kid's crush, huh?"

"A very special young man finds a very special place in a mother's heart." Diana replied sincerely before grinning. "And quickly learns which string to tug, so come on lets get the rest of your stuff so I can call some people about the painting and such. Besides, if we miss dinner Alfred'll be the grumpy one."