[The Daily Planet] "Let the Celebrations Begin"

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The Daily Planet <thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:02:57 -0400

"Let the Celebrations Begin"
Queen Hippolyte, Princesses Diana, Donna and Selene; Philippus, and featuring Wally West

The J.L.A watchtower was quiet for a change. Normally Diana enjoyed these quiet moments, using them as a time to clear her mind and regroup, but that wasn’t going to be possible today. She was actually feeling rather cagey. She wanted to get the J.L.A meeting over with so she could go home. She was so lost in her thoughts of Themyscira that she didn’t notice the scarlet blur that passed before her vision.

Stopping right next to the beautiful Amazon Wally West, known as The Flash, slipped his arm around the woman’s shoulders. “So,” he said as he waved a hero sandwich around with his other hand, “big party this weekend huh?”

She had to admit that Wally was obnoxious at times but Diana really did like the him. He was silly, light hearted, and carefree, yet he was also one of the people on the J.L.A she trusted to watch her back. “It’s more then just a party, Wally. It’s a celebration marking the anniversary of the birth of the original Amazons. So it’s kind of a birthday, anniversary, royal jubilee celebration.”

“Cool!” Wally replied. “So who’s birthday?”

“My mother’s and the other original Amazons.” Diana replied.

Wally nodded after taking a bite of his sandwich. With his super-hyper metabolism he was always eating. “So like it all happened on the same day?”

Diana tried really hard not to be grossed out by the hero sandwich Wally was waving around. She was also trying to avoid the mayo that was being flung around. “Yes, Mother was born first, at dawn, and then my Aunt followed her, and then the rest. Mother and Aunt Antiope were made the Amazon Queens just before the sunset that same day.”

“Wow.” Wally was really in awe of that. The whole Amazon concept, other then there being an island of hot babes out there, was more then he could wrap his mind around. “So like how old, err long, what anniversary is it?”

The Amazon princess laughed softly before answering. “Three thousand five hundred years.”

Wally dropped his sandwich. He’d seen a picture of Diana’s mother, she was gorgeous. Pulling himself together he smirked as he leaned into the Amazon. “So do you like need a date?”

Diana laughed again. “Men aren’t allowed on Themyscira, Wally, you know that.”

“Riiight.” Wally smiled brightly and shrugged his red clad shoulders. “Can’t blame a guy for trying. Bet ya can’t wait to see the kid though.”

“I leave right after the meeting.” Diana replied.
Wally noticed the look in his friend’s eyes and laughed. “Man, if Bats doesn’t get here soon he’s gonna end up hurt.”

*****

From the balcony of the palace Queen Hippolyte stood next to her oldest and dearest friend watching her granddaughter riding away from the palace with Artemis. They were heading into the forest to hunt. Selene had become a fair huntress, though she didn’t do it often. Her connection to the animals, like her mother’s, proved a hindrance to such things as hunting. This hunt however was ceremonial. Selene was seventeen now and it was time for her to participate in the rights of their patron Goddess Artemis.

“Your granddaughter grows stronger and more beautiful with each new morning, my Queen.” Philippus commented with a bright smile.

Hippolyte pressed her palms against the marble railing as she smiled. “She reminds me so much of Diana, and yet she couldn’t be more different. There is a streak of rebelliousness in Selene that Diana never had. Perhaps that comes from her time in Patriarch’s World.”

The dark skinned general’s smile turned into more of a smirk as she stepped closer to the other woman. “Or perhaps that is a quality the girl has inherited from her grandmother.”

Though dark blue eyes sparkled, Hippolyte’s face took on a serious expression. “Are you calling your Queen rebellious, General?”

Not many knew, which was saying a lot since it was hard to hide things from people on an isolated island, but Philippus had been the Queen’s companion for years. In the privacy of the Queen’s chambers she was free to speak to her woman to woman, which allowed her the chance to tease a little. “Don’t forget stubborn, my Queen.”

“I’ll show you a stubborn woman.” Hippolyte replied as they went back inside.

*****

Donna was the first to see her sister break through the clouds above the island. She was standing in the court yard waiting for the sound of the horns which singled the return of the huntresses. It would be their return that started the celebrations. Donna waved at her sister until Diana landed a few feet away from her. Then the younger woman ran to her sister and embraced her.

“We were starting to worry you wouldn’t make it in time.” Donna said as she hugged her sister tightly.

Diana smiled as she and Donna pulled away. “I wouldn’t miss this for the world, little sister. These are very special times for our people.”

“Special times for our family too.” The younger raven haired woman replied as she and Diana walked towards the palace.

“Oh how so?” Diana asked.

Donna smiled proudly. “Selene has gone on Artemis’ scared hunt. We’re waiting for her and the other to return.”

Surprise, shock, pride, a touch of sadness all swirled in Diana’s eyes. She had to stop herself from saying Selene was too young to go on the hunt of the huntress, but then she realized her baby wasn’t a baby anymore.

“Diana? You ok?” Donna asked with concern when her sister didn’t reply.

Diana smiled as she stopped them and turned to look at her sister. She caressed the younger girl’s cheek as she sighed. “It is hard to keep coming home and finding my sister a woman, and my daughter no longer a small child.”

“Even immortals grow up, Diana.” Donna said softly and then laughed. “I think if there were a way to keep children from growing up Mother would have found it a long time ago.”

That made the older princess laugh. “I’m not entirely sure she hadn’t looked for a way.”

“Actually Daughter I hadn’t thought to look for a way to keep you and your sister young until you were grown. It was a little late by then.”

Diana’s eyes lit up her whole face as she went to greet her mother.

The three royal women waited out the afternoon in the palace. Hippolyte told Diana how Selene had prepared for the hunt. How she had bathed in the lake of Artemis and then spent the night in the Goddess’ temple. Diana berated herself for not being able to come sooner. She should have been here while her daughter communed with their Goddess, even though she knew she wouldn’t have been allowed to be with her. She still felt she should have at least been on the island.

“Do not punish yourself, Daughter.” Hippolyte said softly. She understood the look in her daughter’s eyes all to well. “You are here now and that is what matters. You wouldn’t have been able to see her until her return anyway.”

“I know Mother.” Diana sighed. “After five years you would think I’d have gotten use to this.”
Hippolyte caressed her daughter’s cheek before kissing her forehead. “You never get use to missing your child.”

The two women shared warm smiles just before the city was suddenly filled with the sounds of horns. “They’re back!” Donna announced as she sprung to her feet. The three of them headed to the royal box where the huntresses would bring their offerings. Several women had gone out to hunt for the feasts, but it was Selene’s hunt that carried the greatest meaning.

Selene had been scared to death over the hunt. She hadn’t been sure she could do it. It was really hard to kill something you had an empathic connection too, but as she’d made her way through the forest she’d actually felt honor coming from the animals. The bucks she carried towards the royal box had not shown fear in the moments before their deaths, but pride in giving their lives for the Great Huntress right. When the royal box, which was really just an area just below the palace steps where her grandmother would be waiting, came into view Selene smiled. It made her heart soar to see her mother standing to her grandmother’s right.

Hippolyte stood, dressed in her full, flowing, purple robes with her gold scepter staff held proudly in her right hand, her daughters each clad in blue robes much like her own standing on either side of her. The sight of it made Selene stand a little taller as she approached. She bowed her head respectfully as she carefully went to one knee, the bucks still around her neck. “In the name of the Great Huntress I bear thee the gifts of the hunt my Queen.”

Pride radiated from not only Hippolyte but from Diana and Donna as well, but it was Hippolyte who spoke. “Artemis has blessed you well young one, and you have pleased your Queen greatly, and filled your Grandmother’s heart with overflowing pride.”

Tears stung Selene’s eyes as she looked up at her family. Hippolyte nodded and several women came to take the bucks to prepare them for the feasts. It took two each to carry the animals away, it had been the strength inherited from her mother that had allowed Selene to carry them both with ease. With a forward tilt of her staff and a raised hand Hippolyte declared, “Let the joyous and blessed celebrations begin!”