[The Daily Planet] "Hit Over the Head"

  • From: Moria McEntire <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: The Daily Planet <thedailyplanet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:49:49 -0400

"Hit Over the Head"
Princess Selene and Artemis

Knowing that Diana would be hovering for a while Artemis had waited before seeking out Selene. She still couldn’t believe the kid had done it. Once the palace had settled the redhead came in from the garden outside Selene’s room. When she wasn’t there she guessed she was soaking off all those saves Epione had undoubtedly rubbed her down in. When she walked into the royal baths she was glad to see Selene was alone.

“What the hell was that?”

Without opening her eyes Selene answered. “A contest.”

“I know it was a contest.” Artemis huffed as she stood over the in-ground marble tub. “What I don’t get is why you were in it.”

“Because I had things to prove.” Selene replied, her eyes still closed.

Artemis huffed again as she crouched down. “What kind of things?”

Selene finally opened her eyes and looked over at her mentor, teacher, and best friend. Blue meet bright green for several long moments before Selene finally answered. “Personal things.”

“Personal things.” Artemis repeated. “Selene, you could have been hurt. You WERE hurt. You hit a wall!”

Selene smiled. “I know, I cracked it.”

Artemis rolled her eyes. “I just don’t get it. Why now?”

“Hand be that towel.” Selene said as she stood up. When Artemis handed her the large warm towel that had been set aside for her, she wrapped it around herself and then climbed out of the tub. “Because it was just time, that’s why.”

“Selene,” Artemis said softly as she looked at the younger woman. “I know you feel as if you have to keep proving yourself because you have this fool headed idea that you have to prove you’re wroth belonging to the family you belong too, but you don’t.”

Selene stepped closer to her friend. “I did, and now I know.” She paused a moment before adding. “I wasn’t just trying to prove something to my mother, or my grandmother, or even to myself. There was someone else that I wanted to see me as something more.”

“You never have to prove yourself to me, Selene.” Artemis replied.

“Yes, I do.”

Artemis folded her arms and leaned against the wall behind her. “And what exactly do you feel you have to prove to me?”

Selene smiled as she moved even closer to Artemis. Blue eyes met bright green ones for just a second before Selene leaned in and kissed the other Amazon. This wasn’t an innocent kiss between friends, it was a passionate kiss. When Selene ended the kiss she smiled again. “I’m not a little girl anymore, Artemis.”