[the-facts-machine] What to Expect in IOS 8

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:35:25 -0400

BlankApple preview: What to expect in iOS 8 By Jefferson Graham USA TODAY
Along with a new iPhone next week, you can count on an upgrade to the iOS
mobile operating system, which brings new features to iPhone users - even if
you don't spring for the new model.
¦ Related :
http://www.freep.com/article/20140901/BUSINESS07/309010118/Sapphire-iPhone-screen-Apple
 "
alt=" title=" target="_blank">Sapphire: The iPhone screen everyone's talking
about We reached out to iOS developers for their take on the coolest new
features of the operating system. They've been using it since early summer,
when Apple made it available to them for download. Here's what they're
excited about: - iMessage. Add audio and video to text messages. "As a
consumer I am thrilled," says Gregg
Spiridellis, CEO of e-card website and app JibJab. "I believe the use of
media in communications is about to evolve in a big way. - App within an app
. To developers, these are called "extensions," a way to put one app into
another, and vice-versa. Max
McCann, a developer with start-up laundry app Washio, imagines a To Do-list
app that notices someone has laundry as an item. With extensions set up,
"the To Do-list app could allow users to schedule a Washio pickup or show
the current status of their
Washio order. If you're a fan of WhatsApp, and you want to send a photo from
Smugmug, you couldn't do that now - but you'll be able to iOS8. - More photo
features, Apple is adding heftier editing tools for your iPhoneography. And
all iOS photos will be
backed up to iCloud in the background. Brad Jefferson, CEO of video
slideshow maker Animoto calls this a "game changer. Apple has "its toe in
the water with their current iCloud offering, but it doesn't focus enough on
photos," he says. "Apple is finally
realizing that it's important to possess all of a person's digital photo and
video files. I was also intrigued to hear that they will make all photo and
video clip files available via the web so I no longer need to be on an Apple
device to see and download
them. - Continuity. With the new Apple Yosemite operating system for
Macintosh computers, you can start a call on the iPhone and finish it on the
computer. - Expandable keyboard . Keyboards can be altered for, say,
different languages, and Apple is adding
predictive text, to finish sentences for you. For instance, "Let's meet at
Star," and Apple adds in "bucks. "This is a trend that's going to be big,"
says Spiridellis. "We believe the point of contact for communication is
going to be the keyboard. In
our wildest imaginations, we can imagine creating a keyboard that not only
will let you create letters, but also create, manipulate and share
content. - Family sharing. Families can now share their iTunes, iBooks and
app purchases. And good news for kids
- young ones under 13 can now get their own Apple ID under the family
sharing plan. - Healthkit . To be paired with Apple's upcoming, unannounced
wearable health device, this iOS app brings activity trackers like Fitbit
and Jawbone Up into one central
home, along with heart rate monitors and other health apps and devices.
Apple says via Healthkit you can monitor all of them in one central
location. - Spotlight : the search engine for the iPhone, iPad and iPod
Touch will be expanded to go beyond just
what's on the device, and now also search Wikipedia and online search via
Microsoft's Bing. iOS 8 will work with all iPhones going back to iPhone 4S.
Apple is expected to introduce iOS 8 in late September, around the same time
the new iPhone hits the
stores.

GIF image