[the-facts-machine] Re: G Mail stolen passwords

  • From: Steve <pipeguy920@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <the-facts-machine@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 13:17:46 -0400

Gmail is supposed to notify users whose accounts are compromised.  Only
about 100,000 users have actually had their account and current passwords
hacked.

To Worry About 5 Million 'Gmail Passwords' Leaked
Comment Now
Follow Comments Following Comments Unfollow Comments
This week, a list of nearly five million Gmail addresses paired with
passwords appeared online, posted in a Russian Bitcoin security forum. Some
people who checked the list and found their Gmail addresses there reported
that it contained an old password for them, and often a password that they
had reused on multiple sites. There's speculation that the addresses may hay
been stolen from other sites where people used their Gmail address as a
log-in. Google GOOGL -1% itself says less than 2% of the leaked
address-password pairs were current for Gmail. That sounds small but it
means nearly 100,000 people need to change their Gmail passwords ASAP. If
you're one of them, Google should have already notified you.

A site - IsLeaked.com - to check if your address is in the leak immediately
popped up. Blogger James Watt points out that the site was created September
8, the day before the list was posted to the Bitcoin forum, and is warning
people not to use it, saying it might be a honey pot to collect email
addresses. The site will tell you if your email is in the leak, as well as
the first two letters of the password associated with it. "We just found
.txt file with logins and passwords and made a service," the anonymous
person behind IsLeaked told me in an email. He says he created the site
after a massive leak of Russian mail service Yandex addresses that happened
on September 7, and that he simply added Gmail to the mix when it
coincidentally happened after. "There is no conspiracy theory," he says by
email.

If you're nervous about handing your email address over to the site, you can
also check it on HaveIBeenPwned, a data breach check site run by
Australia-based software engineer Troy Hunt, or on a leak tester that runs
locally, but neither will tell you the password associated with the account.

Steve