[texbirds] rice field being flooded on FM 1289 in Calhoun County

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 20:18:28 -0500

TexBirders,

the field along FM 1289 not far from the HW 238 intersection is being flooded
for the second time. Water was barely coming in at the back side by noon but
should be near or at the road by tomorrow. The new paved shoulder makes parking
and watching easy and safe. Light is best in the a.m. I'll be out there
tomorrow mid morning, picking dewberries and watching shorebirds. If the
plegadis ibis find this field there should be several Glossies among the
White-faceds. Bring your scope.

Other rice fields along this road a bit further towards the direction of Port
O'Connor were being prepared today with levees at the ready for their first
flush very soon.

Will report what I see sometime tomorrow.

Port O'Connor had plenty of migrants this late afternoon with 15 species of
warblers and many "mulberry birds" seen in 1 1/2 hours at my favorite spots.
The empids are back in force.

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.