[texbirds] please remove Roy Smallwood

  • From: "Roy Smallwood" <roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 17:10:52 -0600

To whom it may concern,
Roy loved reviewing your emails daily however, please remove him from you list
at this time.  Roy died on Oct 29 after a short battle with Pancreatic Cancer.
Thank you,
Pamela Smallwood

Roy C. Smallwood 3rd.
Kingbirdfeeders.com
3401 Mitchell Road
Waco, TX 76708
254-722-9993
roy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.kingbirdfeeders.com

Kingbirdfeeders.com offers binoculars, spotting scopes,
bird feeders, birdhouses, field guides, and gear.
Serious equipment, serious fun.

Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 12:06 AM
To: texbirds digest users
Subject: texbirds Digest V3 #316

texbirds Digest Tue, 04 Nov 2014        Volume: 03  Issue: 316

In This Issue:
                [texbirds] Great Blue Heron hunting at night
                [texbirds] New Photos
                [texbirds] Elegant Tern
                [texbirds] Kingbird at Anahuac NWR
                [texbirds] Muleshoe NWR shorebirds
                [texbirds] Krider's Red-tail
                [texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch (11/3/14) 10 raptors
                [texbirds] Austin Christmas Bird Count - December 20, 2014
                [texbirds] Bastrop Christmas Bird Count - January 1, 2015
                [texbirds] Balcones Christmas Bird Count - December 15, 2014
                [texbirds] BBWD chicks local
                [texbirds] Re: BBWD chicks local
                [texbirds] Lesser Black-backed Gull
                [texbirds] Christmas Bird Count PR
                [texbirds] Re: BBWD chicks local

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 00:21:19 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
From: Jamie <j.c.fairchild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Great Blue Heron hunting at night

 I saw a Great Blue Heron hunting at 9:40 PM this evening.  I've lived in this
neighborhood (The Commonwealth in Sugar Land) for 18 years.  We see herons and
egrets fishing in our waterways all the time......during the day.
 I've never seen a Great Blue hunting at night.  He was out in the middle of
the stream, wading with his neck outstretched, looking down into the water.
Anybody else seen this?  Is it more common than I realize??
Jamie

------------------------------

From: Tom Lindner <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] New Photos
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 19:10:17 -0800

hi,
i was in texas this spring and got a few nice shots i thought i’d post here
in case anyone likes looking at bird photos.

go to http://tinyurl.com/q2fhglp <http://tinyurl.com/q2fhglp> and click the
“Texas 2014" button

the six buttons on the left have the respective photos of our four and a half
month birding road trip.

hope you like them
tom lindner
san diego

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 07:17:05 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Elegant Tern
From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>

Does anyone know where the Elegant tern was seen in Galveston? The man that
reported it had a lot of good information comparing close species, but his
location for his checklist was in a pasture off the side of 45 in Texas City.
This would be a life bird for me and even better that it is in Texas!
--
Clayton & Linsey Leopold
Texas City

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 08:52:40 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Kingbird at Anahuac NWR
From: Donna Kelly <dkelly163@xxxxxxxxx>

Yesterday afternoon, while collecting traffic count data at Anahuac NWR, we
stopped to check out what a birder was looking at on the entrance road.
She thought she had a Western Kingbird. However, the breast and throat were
very dark grey, the yellow was extremely bright,  and there was no white
visible on the sides of the tail when it flew.

The four of us observed the bird for 5 minutes or more. Either way,
Cassin's, way out of range, or Western, very late,  a very good find for
this time of year.

Sadly, no photo. My camera was at home.  But if a Greater Pewee can find
his way to Bear Creek three winters in a row, who's to say impossible.

--
Donna Kelly
Home is where you park it!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 09:54:38 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Muleshoe NWR shorebirds
From: Justin Bosler <justin.bosler@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello all,
Just last week I began my winter field work at Muleshoe NWR. I've had a few
noteworthy shorebird observations of late that may be of local interest.
The Sanderling and Black-bellied Plovers have been around since at least 31
October. Snowy Plovers continue to delight and it'll be interesting to see
how late they stick around. This recent front may have been a game changer.

Yesterday's (11 Nov) highlights included:

Snowy Plover, 14 basic (nw. corner of Goose Lake)

Black-bellied Plover, 5 juv./ first basic (Lower Paul's Lake)

Sanderling, 1 juv. (Goose Lake)

Western Sandpiper, 3 basic (1 Goose Lake, 2 Lower Paul's Lake)

Dunlin, 1 basic (Paul's Lake)

Wilson's Phalarope, 6 first basic (Lower Paul's Lake)

Good birding,
Justin

--
Justin Bosler
​

Graduate Research Assistant
Dept. of Natural Resources Management
Texas Tech University
​Lubbock, TX, USA  ​794
​09​
717-475-9998

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:35:11 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Krider's Red-tail
From: Donna Kelly <dkelly163@xxxxxxxxx>

A Krider's Red-tailed Hawk was observed on FM 1985 near Anahuac NWR on
Saturday morning, perched on the same radio tower where one was frequently
seen last fall and winter.

--
Donna Kelly
Home is where you park it!

------------------------------

From: "Susan Heath" <sheath@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Smith Point Hawk Watch (11/3/14) 10 raptors
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:49:42 -0600

Total Count: 10

Broad-winged Hawk-6

Red-tailed Hawk-1

Sharp-shinned Hawk-2

Cooper's Hawk-1

 Susan A. Heath, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 W. Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
979-480-0999
Join us in our quest to study and conserve birds and their habitat around
the Gulf of Mexico.
www.gcbo.org
Sign-Up for our monthly E-News Letter
http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/205/MenuGroup/Home.htm

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:13:06 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Austin Christmas Bird Count - December 20, 2014
From: Shelia Hargis <shelia.hargis@xxxxxxxxx>

Join us on Saturday, December 20th, for the annual Austin Christmas Bird
Count. The Austin CBC is sponsored by the Travis Audubon Habitat
Conservation Committee. The CBC circle is centered on McKinney Falls State
Park and basically covers southeast Austin. We need many birders to
adequately survey the birds in the circle area to find all of the expected
species and the rare species visiting the area. We would especially like to
have some feeder watchers this year, so if you live within the circle and
have bird feeders, please participate.

For more specific information about the Austin CBC including a map showing
the count circle, go to www.austincbc.com. Email Shelia Hargis and Laurie
Foss at austincbc@xxxxxxxxx with questions or to register. Thank you for
participating in this important citizen-science project!

Shelia Hargis

Austin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:14:07 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Bastrop Christmas Bird Count - January 1, 2015
From: Shelia Hargis <shelia.hargis@xxxxxxxxx>

Join us on Thursday, January 1st, for the Bastrop Christmas Bird Count. The
circle includes Bastrop, Lake Bastrop, and Bastrop and Buescher State
Parks. We need many birders to adequately survey the birds in the circle
area to find all of the expected species and the rare species visiting the
area. We would especially like to have some feeder watchers, so if you live
within the circle and have bird feeders, please participate.
For more specific information about the Bastrop CBC including a map showing
the count circle, check out the website at www.bastropcbc.com. Email Shelia
Hargis and Laurie Foss at bastroptxcbc@xxxxxxxxx with questions or to
register.

Shelia Hargis

Austin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:16:44 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Balcones Christmas Bird Count - December 15, 2014
From: Shelia Hargis <shelia.hargis@xxxxxxxxx>

Join us on Monday, December 15th, for the annual Balcones Christmas Bird
Count. The Balcones CBC is sponsored by the Friends of Balcones Canyonlands
NWR. The circle includes all the tracts of the Balcones Canyonlands
National Wildlife Refuge and the surrounding area. We need many birders to
adequately survey the birds in the circle area to find all of the expected
species and the rare species visiting the area.

For more specific information about the Balcones CBC including a map
showing the count circle, go to http://friendsofbalcones.org/cbc. Email
Cathy and John Harrington at balconescbc@xxxxxxxxx with questions or to
register.

Shelia Hargis

Austin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:30:19 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] BBWD chicks local
From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>

  Stopped by Walnut Ck. WWTP (front pond on MLK) this PM and saw a pair of
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks with a flock of 1.5-2. Wk. old chicks on the
south shore.  Seems to be a bit on the late side for such a brood but it is
not unheard of in this region  A Little Blue Heron and Scissortail were
also in the area.  I should have thought to get photo with the Iphone of
the ducks.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 20:14:00 -0600
Subject: [texbirds] Re: BBWD chicks local
From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>

In mt local fountain pond there is a single adult Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck with with 6 ducklings almost ready to fledge, I thought
that was pretty late too

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX

From: Bruce Sherman <brucesherman@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Lesser Black-backed Gull
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 19:06:36 -0600

Observed a Lesser Black-backed Gull in non-breeding plumage in Rockport at
3:00PM today. The bird was in with some Laughing and Ring-billed Gulls on the
mudflats at the north end of the city beach park.
Photo can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/image/158114597.

Bruce Sherman
Rockport, TX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 2:15:19 +0000
From:  <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Christmas Bird Count PR

The cover story in this month's Texas Co-op Power, a magazine that is published
for Texas electric co-op members, is Texas CBCs.  The story is brief but sports
some neat pix and touts citizen science.

Alas, Brent Ortego's name was misspelled, although that does NOT mean he has
any legal rights to the profits of a very popular Mexican food producer.

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 21:07:24 -0600
From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>

There is also a family here (Walnut Creek WWTPs) with older chicks..Maybe
half+ grown...More expected perhaps....Either way on the latish side
methinks for Austin region...Rains may disperse

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 8:14 PM, David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In mt local fountain pond there is a single adult Black-bellied
> Whistling-Duck with with 6 ducklings almost ready to fledge, I thought
> that was pretty late too
>

> --
> David Sarkozi
> Houston, TX
> (713) 412-4409 twitter ID dsarkozi
>
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >   Stopped by Walnut Ck. WWTP (front pond on MLK) this PM and saw a pair
> of
> > Black-bellied Whistling Ducks with a flock of 1.5-2. Wk. old chicks on
> the
> > south shore.  Seems to be a bit on the late side for such a brood but it
> is
> > not unheard of in this region  A Little Blue Heron and Scissortail were
> > also in the area.  I should have thought to get photo with the Iphone of
> > the ducks.
> > Brush Freeman
> > 503-551-5150 Cell
> > 120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
> > http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
> > Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
> >

> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> > from the List Owner

End of texbirds Digest V3 #316