[texbirds] more on South Padre

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 20:17:04 -0700 (PDT)

It was, indeed, an amazing day at South Padre. I was there for four hours and
the action never let up for a minute. My vote for the finch ID goes to
Cassin's.I've posted a photo to illustrate a few marks. The bird has a bright
red crown that contrasts with the rest of the head, per Sibley.The bird also
has a pale nape, also per Sibley, unlike the Purple of the Pacific and Eastern
races. See what you think.

There also was a magnificient Painted Bunting, two Orchard Orioles, a skulking
Swainson's Warbler that I photographed after much contorting on my part, Indigo
Bunting, and a slew of other songbirds.

Photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

and here: