[texbirds] male Scarlet Tanagers (local interest)

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:25:55 -0500

At 2 pm a couple of fluorescent male Scarlet Tanagers graced my "yard"
(canopy from my garage apartment windows) in west-central Austin. Crumbs
from the bountiful table laid for many on the coast for the past week. They
coincided perfectly with the appearance (on NEXRAD radar) of "popcorn"
thundershowers rapidly building as the sun heats the unstable and moist
atmosphere (how about a little rain?). Scarlet Tanagers are no big deal but
decidedly uncommon here.
jca
John C. Arvin
Research Associate