[texbirds] iPhone as a Birding Tool class report

  • From: "Kleb Woods (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <klebwoods@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 15:42:11 +0000

The iPhone as a Birding Tool class at Kleb Woods last Friday was attended by
some experienced iPhone users, but the majority of participants were keen to
learn the basics.  While these basics are good for all, they are critical for
birders.  The class covered organizing your apps, creating folders, and saving
battery power.  We then talked in detail about how to use some of the apps that
come with your phone which are extremely useful for birders including the
camera (great for digiscoping), voice memos (for recording bird calls), and
maps.  A lot of time was spent on the maps app.  Participants learned how to
search for and get directions to different birding locations, how to bookmark a
specific point on a map (such as a place where you found a hawk nest), how to
view the map in satellite mode (so you can look for patches that might be good
for birds), etc.
The last part of the class focused on bird apps you can purchase.  For
participants who only wanted to spend money on one app, I recommended iBird.
This is a good app that covers most of the basic things you want in a bird app.
 For participants who wanted the best suite of bird apps, I recommended
Kendra's 4 Essential Birding Apps.  These are Bird Tunes (best collection of
bird calls I have found so far that don't break the bank like BirdJam), Bird's
Eye (best app for finding birds that have been seen recently), Bird Log (if
you're an ebird user), and the Sibley eGuide to North American Birds (best
field guide app).  We also briefly looked at the National Geographic and
Peterson apps as well as Birdwatcher's Diary, which is a bit too complicated
for the casual bird app user.  If anyone has a suggestion for a bird app I
didn't cover that would be good for the class, please let me know.

If there is enough interest, we will do the class again next year.

Kendra Kocab
Naturalist: Kleb Woods Nature Center
Commissioner Steve Radack
Harris County Precinct 3