[texbirds] Re: eBird, science, and carrots (a bit long)

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:49:28 -0500

Brush,

About 6 months ago eBird changed how the filter are done, they can be
by true dates, not just 1 month time spans. I think you can have as
many as 12 transitions in a year for a species now, on any day you
want. For example I reworked all the migrants over on Chambers and
Galveston Counties to reflect that, incorporating timing from "A
Birder's checklist of the Upper Texas Coast" and "Birdlife of Houston,
Galveston, and the Upper Texas Coast". They seem to be working much
better now. Golden Plover is a great example, you can report hundreds
on March 31, but it will get flagged before March 7

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX