[texbirds] eBird & Team Sapsucker

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:22:45 -0500

Hello texbirders,
A special sound out to Team Sapsucker for creating eBird.  They have input
a lot of data recently while scouting here in Texas, and it really shows me
that there are great birds in all kinds of places I would have never
suspected.

For me I feel like I am contributing to "citizen science."  We have all had
gripes about the reviewing process, but for me at least it has improved my
birding skills by making me pay more attention to detail when a bird gets
flagged.  Simply counting the numbers of each species has greatly improved
my observational skills by encouraging me to look at all the birds I see,
not just the exciting ones.  One of these days I may even get to reading
those essays on how to count large flocks of birds to more accurately
estimate numbers.

For those of you who are ebirders, pat yourself on the back and keep
inputting data.

For those of you who aren't, give it a try.  I first used it in January of
2012 and hated it.  Soon I found that it was saving me tons of time record
keeping (while also exponentially increasing the detail of my records).

Appreciating a fun and useful tool,

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX