[texbirds] dispersal? Elf Owl question...

  • From: Tripp Davenport <tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:09:43 -0500

got in from west texas very late last night, well after 1 am...when I pulled up
at my house in town, I heard the elf owl from my neighbors mesquite lot, I have
heard a bird there before a couple of years back, cool to hear it again.  This
bird was not successful in getting out the whole "laughing" cadence each time
it vocalized, only every so often did it get the whole phrase. I was imaging it
a juvenile but never saw it in the mesquite brush...Does anyone know if the
males make that laughing vocal all summer and is there any diagnostic
differences in the call of the juvi male?

Tripp Davenport Uvalde Texas