[texbirds] Re: birding's future

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Stenmead@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:29:21 -0500

During 2013-2014  fall andspring semisters I taught and  coordinated a Jr.
Master Naturalist Biodiversity on campus at Westbrook  Intermediate School,
even conducting an on site field trip.  It was soooo  much fun and the
students were fantastic.  Birds, insects and plants were  the topics.

Thank you Tom for posting this!!  There is indeed hope, but we  (teachers,
birders and Master Naturalist)  must keep promoting,  coordinating and
volunteering to keep playing nature awareness and conservation  forward!

Stennie Meadours
San Leon

In a message dated 11/24/2014 11:13:00 A.M. Central Standard Time,
endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This  discourse is prompted by Dennis' comments. I apologize in advance if
it seems  too lengthy.
After 30 years of begging various 3rd world countries to  conserve their
ecosystems (and falling on deaf ears), the miraculous  happened.  Ecotourism
now these countries are falling all over  themselves to bring in the $$. It
has become a major source of revenue. Two  particular areas may take credit
for this boom.  First, the incredible  quality of the programming out there
to amaze the public. Second, the much  maligned educational system in
America. Ecology has been taught since the 70's  (low emphasis) but has become
major area of study at all levels. I taught  7th grade science for the last
14 years and even in that time frame, the  importance has ramped up greatly.
The most recent changes to the TEKS at my  grade level require study of
biodiversity in microhabitats (school yards).  Most schools have an area set
aside. These things influence the perceptions of  the general public.
I am a scientists and naturalist photographer but not  an in depth birder.
In my classes each spring,  we spent 10 minutes a day  for 10 days
identifying yardbirds , their behaviors, flight characteristics  and any thing
else
of interest. This was  a Title One school with a  diversity of cultural
backgrounds. We saw amazing events.... a Cooper's  ambushing occupants of a
tree,
a Red Tail on a shallow stoop that lasted 15  seconds, the courtship dance
of two Mockingbirds on the roof of a house and a  lot more. At this age they
were naturally into the courtship and mating  behaviors. The girls loved it
when the female grackles completely ignored the  males' displays.  Point
is, they were indelibly engaged. This goes on all  over the state and country.
This will impact the future of birding as they  flashback to the positive
feelings they had about birds and other  wildlife.
Tom Fleming
Grand Prairie
Edit your Freelists account  settings for TEXBIRDS at
//www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner