[texbirds] Woodcocks are displaying against the full moon...Wow!

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:26:29 -0600

Had my first displaying woodcock of the year this eve and under very cool
circumstances....Again the rising moon which is beautiful and while a
Screech Owl purred away nearby and coyotes in the distance.   Of course the
Woodcock was just a black larking dark spot but he popped up aain and again
down numerous times doing his funky twitters peents whistling.
notes....There was/isa dang good combination of things and no wind....I
wished I had had the camera at the time to video and records as it is very
quiet this eve but it back up at the house....I may yet try
again.....Woodcocks here will typically keep displaying until around
mid-Feb.  Maybe they have already been for a dew weeks and this is just the
first evening I've heard and seen it..Often on dark evenings I mostly just
hear them.  This is the night to do it.   I am sure there will be some
recordings maybe even videos of this wonderful display on line.....The
first time you see it , it will just thrill the tar out of.   And they
chours frogs are going to town to...What a lovely evening...I'm going back
out.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/