[texbirds] White-rumped Sandpiper near Boca Chica, 7/23/13

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 20:57:22 -0400 (EDT)

This morning a brief scan of the shorebirds along TX 4 near Kopernik Shores in
Cameron County turned up a Calidris sandpiper that was a bit larger than the
nearby Westerns.  After some head scatching on my part, it flew showing a white
rump.  This is the first time I've seen a fall White-rumped Sandpiper.  Could
it have over summered?  Any comments on the molt?  I put some photos on my
Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58723772@N07/sets/72157634766101265/

Dan Jones, Weslaco