[texbirds] Weekend wrap up: Trinity NWR, Balcones NWR, and Edith Moore Sanctuary

  • From: Justin Bower <justinbower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 10:46:04 -0500

I was out int he Cedar Bayou watershed area on Friday for work, so I stuck
around after quitting time and took a brief walk through Champion Lake area
of the Trinity NWR. Prothonotaries were everywhere, along with some
Black-throated Greens and the usual water birds.
Saturday I drove out to Balcones Canyonlands NWR to meet a group taking a
run at the Golden-cheek Warblers and Black-capped Vireos.  Bewicks were
sounding off in the morning, and we had several of the Golden-cheeked
Warblers throughout the day, though it was hard to get good looks at them.
They and many of the other birds were hunkered down pretty well against the
wind. Still, we did get good looks at several for moments in the tree tops.
It was a lifer for me, so it made the trip. Cow Creek road had a mix of
things, including a semi-patient Lark Sparrow, but nothing of great note.
The woods at Doe Skin Ranch area were surprisingly busy with birds, but
nothing of note appeared. The shinnery and observation deck, which
just opened for the year, were pretty dead. We potentially had one
Black-capped singing, but it was inconclusive. There were enough other
vireos around, that I couldn't swear by it. I did get an up close visit
from a Rufous-crowned Sparrow, another lifer for me. Other than that, it
was a great day of hiking/birding. (Thanks, Jason!)

This morning, I awoke late at 7:30 to hear an cacophany of birds in our
tiny backyard. None of them were of any great interest, but when the
cardinals, mockingbirds, and Carolinas are riled up on a bright sunny
morning in spring, it usually bodes well for Edith Moore Sanctuary, right
down the road. I hopped in the car, and sure enough, as soon as I arrived,
there was a feast of birds awaiting. Right off the parking lot we had a
Great-Crested Flycatcher, White-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos, a Chat, a
Nashville, and a Chuck-wills-widow posing nicely in a wide open branch
(though not long enough to get a photo). We also managed to dig out an
Ovenbird, Hooded Warbler, and an as-of-yet-unidentified flycatcher. Sadly,
I had things to do this morning, and only had an hour there. I'm sure it
will continue to be good throughout the day. Sometimes this place is hit or
miss, but when it's on, it's pretty great for such a small urban park! One
of the folks there mentioned that Upland Sandpipers were present in nearby
Bear Creek Park. May take a run at them later in the day when I have
fulfilled my chores:) Great weekend, regardless.