[texbirds] Weaver Road (Cameron Co.) sod field this morning (08/09/15)

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 15:29:01 -0500

This morning, working alone this time, I undertook what I thought would be
a quick tour of the Weaver Road sod fields (Cameron Co.). There were,
though, sufficient numbers of shorebirds (and shorebird species) in the
only field with water, that it took close to an hour to find the shorebirds
widely dispersed along the field and scattered amidst many hundreds of
blackbirds and grackles. It was hot, sunny, and the heat waves got worse
every moment. Also, many of the birds were distant and walking in grass
that sometimes obscured critical ID cues -- so please excuse the lack of
precision in how many of what species I saw. Sure, my scope helped, but
optical magnification can have a formidable adversary in heat waves, and at
such a time lower magnification works better in terms of a clearer, if more
"distant" view. I am not inclined to make wildly uncertain guesses of
numerosity, and that is what it would have been in the case, in particular,
of the small calidris sandpipers present there, this despite the fact that
these little shorebirds are some of my personal favorite characters in the
migrational drama of shorebirds.
Here is what I found: KILLDEER (many dozens, everywhere!); BLACK-NECKED
STILT (est. 15-17); GREATER YELLOWLEGS (numerous, but I cannot estimate
number because this active species was constantly on the move over a long
stretch of field); LESSER YELLOWLEGS (numerous, but sometimes hard to sort
from Greater when they walked amidst tall grass and the two species were
not adjacent); SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (several); WESTERN SANDPIPER
(several; one or two had some nice residual color); LEAST SANDPIPER
(several, but due to molt and leg obscuration by grass, a precise count not
feasible); PECTORAL SANDPIPER (1, a large, handsome individual, probably a
male)l; BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (6; see comment below); and LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER (6, still retaining much lovely color); a total of 10 shorebird
species.

The Buff-breasted Sandpipers seen today (08/09/15) were handsome creatures
that still sported a substantial number of breeding-plumage top-side
feathers.

The only field on Weaver Road that produced shorebirds today was the
very-well-watered (and still being watered, judging by the sound of the
pump) one that constitutes the northeast sod field of this sod-field
complex. It is at the eastern bend of the dog leg on Weaver Road (and thus
is bordered by that road along its north and east sides.

SUGGESTIONS: 1. FOR THE EASIEST BIRDING OF THIS AREA: Given the position of
these sod fields, which lie mainly west of Weaver Road (the short dog-leg
excepted, from which they lie south), they are best birded in reasonably
early morning. This provides the best sun angle for viewing. Trying to bird
this area late in the day is formidable due to having to look right into
the sun while birding. 2. LOCATING THE ROAD AND DRIVING-RELATED SAFETY: The
part of Weaver Road that has these sod fields is southwest of Harlingen and
runs between FM-800 (on the north) and Jimenez Road (on the south). To
reach the sod fields one must travel a short distance through non-sod areas
on both the north and south ends of this segment of Weaver Road. Most of
this road--and all of it running beside sod fields--is unpaved and should
be avoided when there has been any substantial rain, for it can be
extremely sticky and slick. Both entry to Weaver from FM-800 and leaving it
for FM-800 should be negotiated slowly and with great care, for the
juncture of Weaver and 800 is a bit steep and has notable pits in the
remnant of pavement there. 3. HELPING TO ENSURE LOCAL GOOD-WILL TOWARD
BIRDERS AND BIRDING: Birders visiting this area should bird it solely from
Weaver road, should pull to the edge of the road when stopping--there can
be other traffic, as well as wide farm machinery at times--and should not
enter the side roads, which are private and part of the farm. Abiding by
these rules can help to ensure the good will of the area residents, farm
owners, and farm workers. Most birders know and abide by such rules in
farming country, but if there are those unfamiliar with traditional
protocol in such settings, they should bear these matters in mind and also
be aware that trespassing often is a very serious concern of farmers and
ranchers.

Wishing everyone the best of fall-migration birding -- Rex Stanford
(Weslaco).