[texbirds] Warming up for the Fall season Bird Walks

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:37:18 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
After a long, hot, and sweaty Summer of looking for mainly butterflies and
dragonflies in the park, I had my first full morning of birding at the
Edinburg Scenic Wetlands (Hidalgo Co.) in a good while. I took advantage of
a beautiful weather we are finally getting and set out to cover the whole
park to warm things up for the start of the "Bird Walk" season happening
this next *Tuesday morning (9/1) from 8:30-10:00am* and every Tuesday after
that through the Spring.

It seemed like there was a little bit of everything in the park this
morning.

Observations:

-Osprey is back at the North Pond

-N. American Kingfisher "Trifecta"; A pair of FOS Belted Kingfishers and a
pair of young Ringed Kingfishers joined the resident Green Kingfishers at
North Pond.

-Swallows were moving south; Barn and Bank hadn't been noticed recently.

-FOS Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are present in the park.

-Migrants; (Orchard Oriole, Great Crested Flycatcher, Painted Bunting, and
4 species of Warbler (N. Waterthrush, Blue-winged, Yellow, Wilson's)

-Some Shorebirds at South Pond

-Young birds; whole new set of our resident birds.

Things are looking up for birding in the Wetlands! Get your day started off
right and join us on one of the Tuesday morning Bird Walks!

Full list from the Morning below:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, Texas, US
Aug 29, 2015 7:54 AM - 12:01 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments: <br />Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.1.1 Build 19
58 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 10
Plain Chachalaca 4
Neotropic Cormorant 2
Great Blue Heron 2
Great Egret 3
Snowy Egret 8
Tricolored Heron 2
Cattle Egret 30
Green Heron 2
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron 2
White-faced Ibis 1
Osprey 2
Swainson's Hawk 1
Black-necked Stilt 4
Killdeer 5
Spotted Sandpiper 3
Least Sandpiper 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 6
Inca Dove 2
White-tipped Dove 2
White-winged Dove 1
Mourning Dove 1
Lesser Nighthawk 1
Chimney Swift 3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 6
Ringed Kingfisher 2
Belted Kingfisher 2 Seen chasing each other around North Pond.
Green Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Brown-crested Flycatcher 1
Great Kiskadee 6
Couch's Kingbird 3
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 3
Purple Martin 5
Bank Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 4
Cave Swallow 2
Bewick's Wren 3
Clay-colored Thrush 2
Curve-billed Thrasher 3
Long-billed Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 5
European Starling 2
Northern Waterthrush 1
Blue-winged Warbler 1 Yellow below, blue wings with white wingbars,
and black streak through eyes. Would hang upside down from time to time.
Seen by other park visitors.
Yellow Warbler 3
Wilson's Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 3