[texbirds] Waller Co. - sparrow notes and nesting GC flycatcher

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:02:54 -0500

It looks like the last of the winter sparrows have departed.  My last
Savannah sparrows here on the ranch were 4 on May 15th.  The last
white-crowned sparrow was May 8th.  Also of note was a vesper sparrow on
April 28th.  The only sparrows around now are a number of grasshopper which
have been singing away.  Looks like they may nest here this year.  In
addition I have a new yard nester.  A pair of great-crested flycatchers were
stuffing grass in an old woodpecker hole in the dead pine tree in the yard.
They'll likely be among the last tenants of that tree since we'll need to
take it down later this year.  It's just been standing too long to be safe
much longer.  Think there have been three woodpecker species to use that
tree - red-bellied, downy and ladder-backed.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

Summer approaches -beloved by bugs, children and some guy in Utley