[texbirds] W. Texas Hummingbirds - 5 species

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 18:39:21 -0600

Texbirders,
I finished my second round of banding efforts in the Terlingua Ranch area
today.  For anyone headed to the Big Bend area, this is a remarkable winter
for hummingbird abundance and diversity.   A lot of folks are telling us
there are hummingbirds at locations were no feeders are hanging.  Anyone
birding the area should expect to encounter some, especially along the
river.  Obviously, the most likely species is Anna's.  I have five sampling
sites in the area just west and northwest of Big Bend National Park that I
band at on a regular rotational basis.  Today I finished those sites.  The
totals for the week are:

   - Black-chinned Hummingbird - 1 SY Male today (first January record for
   the region)
   - Anna's Hummingbird - 19 new birds banded and 6 returns/recaps (4 from
   Nov and Dec, 1 from Dec 2011, 1 from Nov 2011)
   - Costa's Hummingbird - 1 AHY (adult) Female on Monday as reported
   previously (there will be folks checking on it tomorrow)
   - Rufous Hummingbird - 3 new birds banded and 7 returns/recaps (all from
   Nov and Dec)
   - Allen's Hummingbird - 1 new bird banded in Lajitas on Monday and 1
   return/recap today (banded in Dec)

Total = 39 birds, 25 new birds banded and 14 returns/recaps

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/