[texbirds] Village Creek - Rusty Blackbirds, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Great Horned Owl

  • From: Christian Walker <christian.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 16:00:21 -0600

Hello,
Had a good morning birding with Maria from New Hampshire and Julia.  Found an
early(?) Northern Rough-winged Swallow.  Highlights were definitely the pair of
Hooded Mergansers, a flock of Rusty Blackbirds at very close range, and a Great
Horned Owl on the nest with a youngster.  Almost all the birds seen were along
the entrance road and the pond there.  All the ponds were almost dry, and the
north wind made birding the beds almost unbearable.  The owl has taken over one
of the Great Blue Heron nests in the rookery.  Also, a quick shout-out to Tom's
Burgers - really good diner right near the stadium.  Hot breakfast was just
what we needed after freezing our hands off.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
University of Dallas
Irving, TX