[texbirds] VNC's Wild Goose Chase

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 20:19:00 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Yesterday's (1/26) VNC field trip was a blast!  We had a caravan of  eight
vehicles (four from the east and four from the west :-)) and we met
somewhere in the middle along Monte Cristo Road in thick fog which thankfully
burned off quickly!  Intelligence reports stated that the geese and cranes
were
coming off Delta Lake first thing, so we all headed up FM 1015, and were
soon treated to skeins and skeins of geese and cranes flying right overhead,
with a few White Pelicans thrown in!  It was glorious!  The highlight  for
many were definitive looks at Ross' Geese within the Snows (where were they
last year?! ;-)), and the Whitefronts were a lifer for MJ at least!  We
then headed up to the little pond "behind" Delta Lake that's usually been
empty  whenever I've visited it, but that morning it was just crammed with
stuff,  including Spoonbills, dowitchers, both stilts and avocets, both
yellowlegs, and  several duck species!

We also stumbled across a couple of burned cane fields with their attendant
 White-tailed Hawks and Caracaras, and one plowed field had a Sprague's
Pipit,  another lifer for many!  We also had nice looks at Horned Larks,
American  Pipits, and the ubiquitous Western Meadowlarks.  One participant had
spotted a Say's Phoebe early on, and a Belted Kingfisher posed in some
greenery  that made HIM look a little green!

A quick romp around Delta Lake County Park yielded a Vermilion Flycatcher
hanging around the playground plus the expected warblers, but not much else
of  note seeing as the wind was picking up.  We stopped at the parking area
along FM 88 that bisects the lake and saw (probably) the same spoonbills we
had  seen earlier, since they vamoosed while we were there, plus a Spotted
Sandpiper  and several Black-crowned Night Herons, along with another Belted
 Kingfisher.  Pat then led us to the famous Hargill Playa, where we had
close encounters with some Sandhill Cranes!  A hidden pond along Bucy Road
had a couple of pelicans, but that was about it.

Most everyone was tuckered out by then, but when I mentioned Brewer's
Blackbird, Larry and Linda definitely wanted to go after that (lifer), so they
and Pat along with Merle and Karen in another car and MJ, Joyce, and myself
in  Bippy headed up to the Rio Beef Feedyards and thankfully found a pair
close to  the road!  On the way back down Rio Beef Road Pat spotted some ducks
in  another hidden pond, and two female Ring-necked Ducks turned out to be
lifers  for MJ as well!

Photos and recordings are posted here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/VNC%20Field%20Trips.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/VNC%20Field%20Trips.html)

Bird List (hope I remembered everything; let me know if I overlooked
something!):

Greater White-fronted Goose           Anser albifrons
Snow Goose                            Chen caerulescens
Ross's Goose                          Chen rossii
Gadwall                               Anas strepera
Mottled Duck                          Anas fulvigula
Blue-winged Teal                      Anas discors
Northern  Pintail
Northern Shoveler                     Anas clypeata
Green-winged Teal                     Anas crecca
Ring-necked Duck                      Aythya collaris
Lesser Scaup                          Aythya affinis
Ruddy Duck                            Oxyura  jamaicensis
Pied-billed  Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant              Phalacrocorax auritus
Neotropic  Cormorant
American White Pelican                Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Great Blue Heron                      Ardea herodias
Great Egret                           Ardea  alba
Snowy  Egret
Black-crowned Night-Heron             Nycticorax nycticorax
Roseate Spoonbill                     Platalea ajaja
Black Vulture                         Coragyps atratus
Turkey Vulture                        Cathartes aura
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
White-tailed Hawk                     Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Red-tailed Hawk                       Buteo jamaicensis
American  Coot
Sandhill Crane                        Grus canadensis
Killdeer                              Charadrius  vociferus
Black-necked Stilt                    Himantopus mexicanus
American Avocet                       Recurvirostra americana
Spotted Sandpiper                     Actitis macularius
Greater Yellowlegs                    Tringa  melanoleuca
Lesser Yellowlegs                     Tringa flavipes
Least Sandpiper                       Calidris minutilla
Long-billed Dowitcher                 Limnodromus scolopaceus
Caspian Tern                          Hydroprogne caspia
Rock Pigeon                           Columba livia
Eurasian Collared-Dove                Streptopelia decaocto
Mourning Dove                         Zenaida macroura
Common Ground  Dove
Belted Kingfisher                     Megaceryle alcyon
Golden-fronted Woodpecker             Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed Woodpecker              Picoides scalaris
Crested Caracara                      Caracara cheriway
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Eastern  Phoebe
Say's  Phoebe
Vermilion Flycatcher                  Pyrocephalus rubinus
Great Kiskadee                        Pitangus sulphuratus
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
Green Jay                             Cyanocorax yncas
Horned Lark                           Eremophila  alpestris
Verdin                                Auriparus flaviceps
Bewick's Wren                         Thryomanes bewickii
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                  Regulus calendula
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
European Starling                     Sturnus vulgaris
American Pipit                        Anthus rubescens
Sprague's Pipit                       Anthus spragueii
Orange-crowned Warbler                Oreothlypis celata
Common Yellowthroat                   Geothlypis trichas
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern Meadowlark                    Sturnella  magna
Western Meadowlark                    Sturnella neglecta
Brewer's Blackbird                    Euphagus cyanocephalus
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird
Lesser Goldfinch                      Spinus  psaltria
House  Sparrow
72 SPECIES
Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX