[texbirds] Utley 5/28

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 10:26:43 -0500

Did a couple of hours of birding this morning.  I guess the rain washed out
the juv. Black Vulture from the deer blind as it was standing in the yard
this morning...What a ragged little critter, but almost ready to fly...It
was too close to the bluebird box so Mr. Bluebird repeatedly dive bombed
the young vulture.  I herded the youngster back toward home while ma watched
  I had my first Tricolored Heron of the summer dispersal, and Paul Sunby
said he had a Spoonbill at Shipp Lake yesterday.  One migration ends as
another begins.

  Went to a private property but it was to muddy to drive so I scanned it
from a hill.  Lots of standing water and Black Terns.  There was a herd of
Whistling Ducks that also included two Egyptian Geese.  There were a number
of peeps but too far to ID...I did not scope.  Many Swallows feeding on
newly  hatched midges.

The only small passerine like migrants noted so far were empids and a
Yellow Warbler.  On Wilbarger Creek which is flowing good, there was a
singing Warbling Vireo which is likely on territory and a singing  Parula
that I did not see.

  A pair of nighthawks appear to be nesting nearby as they are sure
frequenting the neighborhood...Something I rarely note around the cabin.

  A pair of Couch's Kingbirds may be nesting in a large hackberry on a
friend's property.  Actually 4 species of Kingbirds ,including Scissortails
, are on the property.

  Two Bronzed Cowbirds on the above as well

  Where are my Buff-bellieds this morning?
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/