[texbirds] Tyler State Park big day walk 11-23-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 14:31:09 -0600

Howdy All!

=20

It was a really windy morning after the frontal passage.  The wind was
pretty chilly too, but the birding was really fun.  Our participants
were treated to some fast-paced birding.  The walk began with a
beautiful pair of Pileated Woodpeckers chasing each other around the
trunk of a nearby tree.  Not a bad start.  We moved on to the firebreaks
and were treated to sparrows, siskins, goldfinches, bluebirds,
nuthatches, woodpeckers, and more.  It was really busy.  We were able to
get Hairy Woodpecker and Brown-headed Nuthatch there.  The dam was busy
with Song and Lincoln's Sparrows.  The flock of Ruddys that has been
hanging around has gotten a little larger and a lone Bufflehead was
hanging out with them.  Eastern Towhees were calling everywhere we went
but we didn't find the Spotted today. =20

=20

The wooded area by the spillway was full of small birds.  Brown
Creepers, Ruby and Golden-crowned Kinglets, Red and White-breasted
Nuthatches, and Pine Warblers all in this area.  We also ventured into
the lightly travelled area down the Old Road trail and found lots of
Song Sparrows, Field Sparrows, and a Winter Wren. =20

=20

If you missed out on this morning's adventure, then join us in the
morning, Saturday, November 24 at 8am and will try again.  We will meet
at the park HQ and head down into the park.  It is going to be
considerably colder in the morning so dress warm. =20

=20

 Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Nov 23, 2012 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

51 species

=20

Bufflehead  1

Ruddy Duck  13

Pied-billed Grebe  17

Great Egret  2

Black Vulture  20

Turkey Vulture  16

Northern Harrier  1

Red-tailed Hawk  2

American Coot  15

Killdeer  2

Mourning Dove  12

Belted Kingfisher  2

Red-bellied Woodpecker  3

Downy Woodpecker  2

Hairy Woodpecker  1

Northern Flicker  3

Pileated Woodpecker  4

Eastern Phoebe  3

Blue Jay  3

American Crow  15

Carolina Chickadee  6

Tufted Titmouse  2

Red-breasted Nuthatch  3

White-breasted Nuthatch  4

Brown-headed Nuthatch  4

Brown Creeper  7

Winter Wren  1

Carolina Wren  3

Golden-crowned Kinglet  3

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  6

Eastern Bluebird  30

American Robin  50

Northern Mockingbird  3

Brown Thrasher  2

European Starling  13

Cedar Waxwing  30

Pine Warbler  16

Yellow-rumped Warbler  7

Eastern Towhee  5

Chipping Sparrow  30

Field Sparrow  6

Song Sparrow  10

Lincoln's Sparrow  1

White-throated Sparrow  50

Dark-eyed Junco  45

Northern Cardinal  5

Red-winged Blackbird  6

Brewer's Blackbird  1

Common Grackle  9

Pine Siskin  12

American Goldfinch  40

=20

=20

Good birding,

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >