[texbirds] Tundra Swans at Anahuac NWR

  • From: Janet Rathjen <j.rathjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:37:03 -0800 (PST)

I was at Anahuac NWR yesterday (Saturday) with Adam Wood and we were suprised
learn from the lady at the gift shop as we were checking in that there were 2
Tundra Swans at Shoveler Pond on the 3rd leg of the loop.  A visitor earlier in
the day had showed the lady a picture and asked if they were seeing what they
thought they were seeing.  We refound them at the last part of the 3rd side
of the road around Shoveler Pond and I was able to get a few bad shots with my
iphone thru my scope.  I will try to process them later to post.  One has an
all
dark bill, but I was unable to make out any yellow at the base of the bill, and
the other had a mostly pink bill with black around the outer edges.  The
feathers coming down along the top of the bill appeared to end in a gentle,
rounded curve rather than a sharp point.  Both looked a little dirty.  I don't
know if those features are enough to identify them as Tundra's rather than
Trumpeter as I have little experience with either, so if someone else sees
them,
could they confirm the ID?

Sorry for not posting yesterday.  I assumed the finder would have posted and I
was exhausted from the cold and rain when I got home last night and so did not
check my email.  Adam was the one to send out the TOSRBA, so at least that was
done right away.

Happy birding this New Year!

Janet Rathjen
Houston, TX