[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding at Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 16:12:56 -0600

It was an exciting morning at the refuge with an abundance of birds.
Our morning started out viewing over 5000 white geese grazing on the field
north of headquarters.  Then we continued on to the Goode area where we first
spotted an immature Bald Eagle with its' morning catch.  Then we sat up scopes
at the bottom of the hill and observed many species of ducks. Included in the
ducks were 159 Canvasbacks, 4 Buffleheads, 2 Ruddy Ducks and100 Hooded
Mergansers, lots of Northern Pintails which we estimated at the end of the day
at 5000 or more. We saw 1 Horned Grebe there. Near C pad 36 American White
Pelicans were hanging out. Also there we saw 24 Greater White-fronted Geese. On
Bennett Lane west of the Big Mineral Picnic Area we found a Hairy Woodpecker.
In the vicinity of Short Rd. we found 3 Loggerhead Shrikes. We saw a good
number of Eastern Bluebirds at different locations on the refuge. North of the
low water crossing north of headquarters we saw a male Spotted Towhee. Just
past Deaver pond we saw Vesper Sparrows and farther down the road we saw Fox
Sparrows.  In Mineral Marsh we had closeup looks at a mature Black-crowned
Night-Heron. Near the end of the census we stopped at the end of C pad we were
afforded views of an incredible number of ducks the majority being Northern
Pintails.  Also there was a mature Bald Eagle perched on a log.  He later took
flight and circled in front of us. We finished the day with 71 species plus 3
other taxa.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S20597213
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.