[texbirds] Trumpeter Swan at Lakeside Park in The Woodlands

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 07:20:44 -0600

Some birding friends of my dad Larry discovered a first year swan at
Lakeside Park in The Woodlands (Montgomery County) on December 9th and
took a few distant photos.  The initial thoughts were that it was
perhaps a Tundra. My dad later also saw it and yesterday (10 Dec) they
got Lisa Griffis to go out on a kayak on the lake at the park to get
some better photos.  You can see some of those photos here:

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129880918@N06/

Martha Jordan, aka "The Swan Lady", a wildlife biologist and part of
the Washington Swan Stewards, a branch of the Trumpeter Swan Society,
has looked at the photos and indicates that this bird is a juvenile
Trumpeter Swan.

Lakeside Park can be found at:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=30.2011339,-95.5413902&ll=30.2011339,-95.5413902

You can walk from the parking lot and down a short trail to get a nice
view of the lake.

--
Eric Carpenter
Austin