[texbirds] Trinity Bottoms, Crosby etc. swallow tailed kites

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 14:11:59 -0500

Made it to the trinity river nwr about dawn and had lots of birds singing.
Very different than last year. Common birds this year were summer tanager
and northern parula. Last year it was prothonotary warbler and painted
bunting. All were seen in all years but the commonality switched. Also lots
more singing wood thrushes this year.
Did the Dayton/liberty/parks and had no kites or hawks.

Stopped on Aweigh drive in Crosby and found kites there and also quite a
few blocks to the north. They were not really active in mid to late morning
but sat up preening and periodically the male would catch something and
take it to the female.

Other birds in the area also changed. The large number of red-headed
woodpeckers from last summer are not about but a couple were seen further
south. While watching one kite preen, I had cave swallows going right by
me. I think that this is the first time I have had them this far away from
the coast.

Best?? birds of the day were a pair of singing, courting and carrying grass
chipping sparrows. Way back at least 30 years ago I had nesting chipping
sparrows near Lake Charlotte when Houston was starting to have places clear
cut so that it would be so ugly no one would want to save it.

And fish crows have moved in and replaced the common crows of last summer.
One carred from the general area of last years kite nest and flew around
all the time I was there. I did not find any over by Deussen park but it
was very crowded.

Good to get a dose of kites for the spring. There were also Mississippi
kites, red-shouldered hawks and broad-winged hawks in the area.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston